Chapter 6

Happy Birthday Julia!

-

With a panicked face, I looked out the window to see people screaming and running. No person was in the way of the gun, it was just Kale's car. Cars in front of us turned off into streets to the side of us and cars behind us stopped. And, no matter how much Kale tried to swerve out of the bullets way, they still managed to collide with the back of the Lamborghini and I flinched with increasing fear.

Kale swore with every flying bullet and pulled out his phone. He threw it in my lap and barked out orders that I wouldn't of followed if we weren't getting shot at. He told me to slide open the phone and search through contacts to find 'Alec'.

This was my opportunity, my opportunity to call for help but I couldn't call anyone, Kale would notice. Alec's name was at the top of the list so I tapped it and tapped 'call'. When it began ringing, I pressed the home button and went to messages. I opened up a new message and typed out Jake's number. The only number's i've bothered to memorize were Jake's and Austins and messaging Austin would be useless. I hurried to type a quick message which was; track this phone but be careful, and sent it.

"Hey" Alec answered on the third ring. Another bullet hit the Lamborghini and I almost dropped the phone. "What was that?"

"I need you to get rid of a few obstacles, track my phone" Kale rushed out the orders and quickly turned off into a street. I deleted the conversation with Jake and went back to the call screen.

"I'm on it" Alec said with finality shortly before he hung up the phone.

Kale snatched up the phone from my grasp and I slumped in my seat. The shooting had stopped and the silence was almost as painful as the sound was. But the silence didn't progress for long, because suddenly the front of the Suburban collided with the back of Kale's car, causing us to lurch forward in our seats. I stopped myself before I could face plant the dashboard but Kale seemed to of regained his posture soon after we were hit.

Buildings and pedestrians were a blur to me as we drove past them. They looked like nothing but a smudged painting on a large canvas. But although they were a blur, I could hear the screams and shouts of fear and distress. Their lives were in as much danger as I was and it filled me with guilt.

To my relief Kale turned off into an empty street and brought the action away from the public. Kale slowed down a little but my relief was short lived when we were faced with another Suburban and this time it was coming from Kale's side. They pulled out a gun and shot at his side. A yelp escaped my lips as the bullet cut through the glass and entered Kale's arm. He yelled and cursed out loud while dropping that arm.

"Take the wheel" He said.

I looked at him with wide eyes. "I could get us both killed, although I don't think I would-"

"Just take the damn wheel!"

I gulped and reached over so I could place both my hands awkwardly on the wheel. Kale dropped his other arm and ripped his dress shirt. He then tightly wrapped it around his bloody arm and stepped on the accelerator a little harder. I struggled to keep the Lamborghini going straight and almost let my hands slip off.

When my arm was nudged I peeled my eyes away from the empty road and looked at what Kale was doing. I froze when I saw he had taken out a gun. He pointed it out the smashed glass and shot two bullets at the oncoming Suburban. It stopped dead in it's tracks.

"Okay" He said softly and took the wheel away from my shaking hands.

What if the car hit something or the tyres at the back were shot and it flipped? What if the guys shooting hit the gas and the car exploded? Scenes flooded my mind of the car engulfed in flames and car parts thrown upon people. I almost cried at the thoughts.