Chapter 9

Instinctively, I moved my head out of Derek's way but if Kale had of kept his tight grip on me, Derek would of still been able to slap me.

"What are you doing?" Derek asked Kale as if he was stupid. Well Kale did let me go so I avoided being hit by Derek which was a stupid move on his hand but I was a tad thankful, it looked like it would've hurt.

"Don't ask me" Kale shrugged. "Ask her" He said, pointing to me with his chin.

Derek turned to me and slapped me across the face. Damn it hurt. No, it stung. I let out a scream and flung a hand up to my cheek. Tears didn't spring to my eyes because I was already crying but after the scream I shut my mouth and allowed silence to overcome me. Bastard.

"Tell John to give him the drug" Derek nodded at Kale who in return nodded.

My eyes widened. What drug? I knew they were going to give it to Austin, who else would they be giving it to. I spun on my heels to see Kale communicating to the man at the other end. He had his face close to device and was speaking in lo murmurs. My cheek still stung but I ran back to the window when the other door opened and the man stepped back in the room.

"What's that?" I asked. I was obviously indicating to the long needle with green liquid that 'John' was holding. It scared me.

Again Derek's voice sounded miles away when he answered. "It's a drug, specially formulated to erase someone's memory of the past few hours. I created it, illegaly. But your stupid boy stole the drugs and sold it on my territory. The cops came after me, knowing I was the gang's leader and I was thrown into jail for what was supposed to be 15 years. Only a couple of months later, my gang broke me out and ever since then the feds have been on my ass"

"So that's why you have Austin" I whispered.

"Yes. And, I want him to give himself up. I can't live my life in hiding"

"You created the drug, you would've been thrown into jail regardless of Austin"

"Yes but I wouldn't of been so inexperienecd and careless. Austin also has the profit he made by selling my drugs, five-hundred thousand dollars"

"He was 17 and was new to this, what would you expect him to do?"

"Not cross pathes with me"

My blood ran cold and I focused my attention back at Austin. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this, although I wasn't sure if wanted to see Austin before, and I did. So, I was going to watch this, because I didn't when or if I was going to see him again.

"I don't think you should watch this" Kale leaned in close and whispered.

I flinched away from him. "Why should you care"

He fell silent and I waited in endless pain as I saw the needle inch closer to Austin. That's when it clicked. He was getting injected with some green substance that would make him forget the past couple of hours. That would mean he'd forget about seeing me. I couldn't let that happen, I wouldn't let that happen.

I ran over to the door and tried the handle. But, again no matter how many times I tried to push it open, it didn't budge. I was furious like I mean furious. The strength and the heart I poured into bashing the door was something I couldn't see myself doing. Kale pulled me back, despite my thrashing around and protests. I could tell he was reluctant and he was about to tow me away from the room but I dug my heels into the flat ground and let me tell you it was impossible but he stopped.

"I want to watch" I managed to say with gritted teeth. I was clenching my jaw so much, my mouth began to hurt so I eased up.

Kale's arms tensed before he let me go. "You won't like it Avery"