Chapter 26

Here you go! A new chapter before tomorrow's dreadful day springs upon us (for all my Aussie readers, I hope going back to school tomorrow won't be too painful). There's not much left of this book so there will only be one or two more chapters. This is also because I'm in year 12 now and will find it hard to be updating so I'll be going on a break. I hope you all enjoy this chapter and have a lovely night/day! x

-

"We're not safe" Jake spoke.

"I figured that much Jake" I said in a quite voice.

I was driving both of us. Jake was in the passenger seat and had finally stopped complaining about not being the driver. "We'll never be safe"

"You don't know that"

Jake raised his voice. "Austin killed Derek! We have blood on our hands"

I flinched. "I know and you know Austin had to do it, we'll all live with that burden on our hands but we have to be smart about this"

"I'm just pissed at myself over the fact that you were dragged into it"

"Oh Jake, you and I both know I got myself into this mess, you were doing everything in your power to shield me from it, don't beat yourself up over it, besides I'd rather be next to you on the news that watching just you on the news"

We arrived at the closest take away store so we both shut up. This was going to be one big order I wondered to myself as we walked inside to smell the tasteful aroma of the place. I breathed in and suddenly my stomach growled even though at the time I didn't feel hungry I knew I had to eat something.

The man standing behind the counter greeted us with a thick Italian accent however it was still great English. "Good evening"

I smiled. He seemed so happy, but it was then that I thought that we can all seem happy on the surface but our troubles lay deeper waiting for the tide to lower. While Jake greeted him back with an equally warm smile, I quickly scanned the menu, reading the English part of it.

Since we weren't going to get individual orders, I just ordered a large for pretty much half the menu of the pizza menu and ordered a few large servings of just the napoli pasta. I watched as the poor man scribbled it all down and I saw how large our order was and stiffled a laugh.

The man looked at us with his eyebrows raised. "I didn't catch you two as being big eaters, perhaps you" He looked at Jake. "But you, no"

I laughed once and shook my head. "Never underestimate how much a woman can eat"

He laughed with me and turned away to get the order going. I turned to Jake and blew out a breath I felt like had been held in for too long. "That was good" Jake said.

"What?"

"You managed to avoid giving him an answer which would've had to be brief anyway since we can't give out information like that"

"Oh right yeah, see I'm better at this than you think, you need to calm down" I brought him in for a hug. This situation could of easily been a light-hearted, "joking around" kind of situation but I knew we needed to be serious for this once at least.

"I know, it's just ever since Gabby-" He stopped and his eyes dropped to the floor.

"You've been feeling tense and on edge?" I finished his sentence so he didn't have to speak the word 'left'. "Yeah, I noticed"

"I should feel happy now that we're out of all the chaos and that I can fully protect you, but I can't help but feel.." Jakes voice trailed off. "Empty"