Chapter 52: Resplendent Edge

Beginne am Anfang

"You're here again." She scowled and closed the book, using it to point at him. "You are breaking your promise on purpose."

Kladis sighed heavily as he changed into his casual attire and silently lay at the other side from her.

Unlike yesterday that he paid some energy for banter, today, Kladis seemed to be more tired than he was the last time that, when she took a sneak look, she found him sleeping and just barely hiding from the light of sol.

"Is war... really that taxing?"

In Terroa, you can sleep and thanks to the superb technology of the NLD, the body-avatar connection shuts down, letting the body go into a very deep sleep and clean up the neural facilities thus rendering sleeping here in the virtual space as helpful as it was in the real world.

As such, many players only choose to eat in the real world and sleep inside the game, maximizing time and efficiency especially when in the middle of a hunt.

Scion also understood this logic and that's the reason why she bought many books to read inside the game.

For a good few moments, she looked at his face as he sleeps and that frowning expression reminded her of the time when Rex was still recuperating.

Back then, Rex was really in a lot of pain. She could only comfort him by being there almost each and every time. Especially at that time when he woke up and his very first action was too visit his baby brother. Just imagining his appearance at that time when he saw the unconscious brother broke her heart.

She saw that video of how Rex risked everything to save his brother, punching the back window of the car with his bare fists until it cracked... his lacerated-up-to-the-tendons fingers... the throat wound that had all the signs of having something big and sharp once piercing there... the medical records and investigations all showed his struggle to get out of that burning car and knowing the reason how and why Rex did everything to his power to save Baron is all the more the reason why she can't help but to be attracted to his epic achievements.

Not knowing when, as soon as she noticed that she's been staring at Kladis, she sighed then slapped herself as the sound of it woke up the man and gazed at her flushed appearance.

"Hm? Were you looking at me?" he asked, smiling handsomely.

Raising a brow, she bickered, "I wasn't!" and then she turned back at her usual spot and opened the book to force her mind and forget her embarrassment.

It was one thing being curious on how he looked like when he was sleeping but being found out was another and it was really embarrassing, especially when he's been teasing her non-stop these past few days.

And yet, whenever it happens, he'd always rest in the same spot as if she didn't exist and then sleep very peacefully until it was time to get back to work.

It was in this manner that Kladis had spent his breaks and each time he takes a short nap, she'd get curious at the reasons why he was tired and take sneak peeks.

But... for the last few times, she's always been getting caught and each time, she'd get embarrassed from the way he teases her.

The embarrassment, it was piling up, and it was getting to her more and more.

"I still don't get why they have to go to war... can't they just talk it over peacefully?"

Ever since she saw the news on TDT regarding the war that the Blue Card Legion started against the city of Alexandria, she'd always wondered the reason why everyone had to violently send their message across.

Yes, there was an attempt to negotiate but they only did it once. If their intention was clean and pure, shouldn't the attempt to negotiate things over be tried at least three times?