Vicodin (Ch 46)

A cacophony of shouts and yells sent intense pangs of pain through my skull sending a ringing that managed to make it through the slew of sounds. My mind was in a haze, in between sleep and consciousness. It was like I was stuck and there was no way of surfacing from the black.

“Carlisle, you need to wake her.” Jake’s rough tone pierced through all the rest.

I could feel hands all over me, pulling at me, pushing me down. Holding me in place. It was unbearable. Like my entire torso was on fire and they were just adding to the heat.

“She needs to do that on her own, Jake. Just give her a minute.” A new voice replied. It was different. Almost like music. “We can’t move her until we are sure it will not harm her.”

“Oh God.” Jake’s soft moan nearly shattered my heart. I was right on the edge and I knew I was awake. I was. Why couldn’t they tell that I was? “Please, Carlise.”

“Seth, take Jake to the side.” The same pretty voice ordered.

No. Don’t take him to the side. I wanted him near me. As I felt the heavy footsteps moving away I did all I could to protest. A low moan escaped my throat, but it was followed by the heavy weight dropping onto my chest. It was as though my left side had an anvil sitting on top of it, crushing me into the cold wet ground. I tried to take another breath, but it was as if I was breathing through a straw.

“What’s going on.. Why is she doing that? Carlisle!” Jake’s voice was now booming and I can feel his presence beside me. “Carlisle! Help her!”

“Lucy? Lucy can you hear us?” The pretty voice.. Carlisle softly muttered.

“Jake, calm down. She’s going to be fine” It was Seth this time.

I was scared. Despite Seth’s comforting words to Jake, I didn’t feel like I was going to be okay.

“She’s definitely conscious. I just need to wake her. Scare her body into a wake state.”

And that’s when I felt an unbearable pain pushing down against me. Forget the anvil, I felt as though I was being stepped on repeatedly by a steel boot.

And just like that I could see the dark view of the sky and the tree tops. A pale face was entering and leaving my line of vision. At first I thought it was Edward, but it couldn’t be. The voices didn’t match. A loud gasping sound escaped my throat as air broke through the invisible barrier in my lungs. Whoever this man was, he was the heavy weight on me, pushing my chest down harder and harder.

“Lucy!” I could feel Jake’s warm hand in mine before his face came into view.

Warm tears of fear were sliding down and off my face onto my neck and hair.

“I-I..” My voice wasn’t even my voice. It was short and strained. “Breathe”

“Can you move your legs, Lucy?” The Carlisle asked and I didn’t understand why. It was my chest that hurt, not my legs.

“Why are you asking that? She can’t breathe! Help her!”

“Jake he knows what he’s doing. Shut up!” Seth.

I did as Carlisle asked and heard the rustling of the leaves as my legs easily moved make and forth.

“Excellent. Jake, you can lift her now. Take her upstairs and I will get the proper supplies from my car.”

Jake wasted no time in lifting me off the ground, but with that came another sharp stab of pain in my side.

“Ahh” I cried, grabbing a fistful of his shirt and pushing my face into his neck.