Not Invincible (Ch 34)

Start from the beginning

Emily ran her hand through his hair and got up, wrapping her arms around Sam and burying her face in his chest. He stroked her hair and mumbled something to her. But I wasn’t paying attention.

Seth walked back to the kitchen and left Jake to me.

“What happened?” I whispered, sitting beside him and cupping his neck.

He shivered at my touch, but brought my hand up to his lips and kissed my palm softly.

“I’m fine, baby. Don’t worry.”

I shook my head. “No you’re not. I outlined his bandage on his ribs. “Did he.. Is he..?”

He nodded. “Yeah, Paul and Leah took care of him. Kinda wish they got to him earlier though.” He chuckled, but groaned and clutched his side.

I hated seeing him like this, but I didn’t want to cry in front of him and make him feel worse. But I couldn’t help it. I’d never seen Jake so.. fragile. I had been under the notion that nobody could ever hurt him, but now that it was proven completely untrue, it set a whole chain of horrible thoughts through my head. Every time he would be out patrolling now I wouldn’t be able to think of anything but him potentially getting injured. And he was Beta. He was out there all the time.

“hey.” Jake softly said, pushing my hair behind my ear. “what’s this?”

I shook my head and looked away, trying to hide my tears from him. But he of course insisted and moved my face back so it was looking at him. His thumbs worked quickly, wiping my cheeks off and he kept his hands there.

“I’m okay. Worse has happened, babe.”

“I can’t imagine worse happening to you. I can’t even bear to see you like this.”

“Don’t be upset.” He pushed his forehead onto mine.

“How can I not? Look at you.” I pressed my hand flat against his hurt ribs.

“Yeah, Luce look at him.” Seth interrupted, taking a seat in the armchair. “Kid gets attacked by a crazy bloodsucker, bitten shoulder and fractured ribs and he still looks good as new.”

My eyes widened. Bitten? “You got.. bitten by a vampire?” I looked to my boyfriend.

He nodded, “But as you can see I’m fine. And so is Jared.”

“Jared? Jared got hurt too?”

He nodded. “Broken arm but it should mend in a few hours.”

“I can’t believe Kim was right.” I breathed out. “She said she had this horrible feeling, but I told her you were the one hurt.”

“Jared’s over there right now anyway,” Seth answered. “And now that you’re here safe, I can finally get on home and listen to Leah brag about her capture.” He stood up and headed for the door. “Bye Dumbles, bye VampWolf.” He waved before leaving.

I couldn’t help but laugh at him.

“Maybe I should keep Seth around if that’s what it takes to make you smile.”Jake traced my lips with his finger.

I turned to him. “You make me smile. Just not when you’re in pain.” I pouted.

He took advantage and bent down with a groan and kissed it away. I kept my lips on him and sat on my knees so he didn’t have to bend down for me. I wrapped one arm around his neck and rubbed his injury with my other hand while he placed his at my sides. He groaned against me, but I knew it wasn’t out of pain. One of his hands slid down to my thigh and lifted it so it was on his other side. I tried my hardest not to lean against him and leaned away. As usual, his lips chased mine, but I stopped him as I caught my breath.