011

Joshua stared and poked his school lunch numbly with a spork. Today all he heard about was Chan and his new girlfriend Nanami, the girl he had a crush on. "Why me?" Joshua sighed and dropped his spork. He groaned as he picked up the spork and threw it to the ground again relieving some frustrations. Joshua scoffed, "I guess I deserved it, don't I?" He asked himself quietly.

"Deserve what?" A voice came in abrupt. Joshua spun his head and faced Nanami with school lunch in her hands. "I thought you were lonely so I wanted to join you for lunch." Nanami sat down next to Joshua.

"Shouldn't you be with your boyfriend?" Joshua asked in a salty tone.

Nanami shrugged, "You're more important." Joshua brushed off that heart fluttering gesture and continued to act out angrily. Nanami noticed his attitude and sighed. She got up and threw away her food before making her way back.

"Wait." Joshua called out desperately which was polar opposite from his recent words. "Don't leave me." He said in a small voice.

Nanami let out a frustrated groan, "Then what is it Joshua?! You give me attitude but you want me to stay?! Choose one!"

"I want you to stay with me." Joshua confessed. "I'm sorry if I was being rude, I was just angry and a little shocked that you suddenly dated Chan." It hurt him more that Nanami didn't tell him.

"Joshua, I don't like Chan." Nanami confessed.

Joshua's eyes widened with shock and a glimpse of hope. "What?"

Nanami bit her lip, "Well it's a long story but I'm the one who broke Jihoon and Eunhee up. Jihoon wanted to come after me and the closest person I saw was Chan so I ran to him. I'm using Chan for protection from Jihoon. He's my cover, not an actual boyfriend. But I'm 'dating' him so Jihoon doesn't come after me."

"Then why not just date me?" Joshua asked in a soft voice. "Is it because I'm not strong enough? I want to protect you. I don't want Chan to-... I don't want you near Chan." Joshua stared into Nanami's eyes with sincerity. "I want to date you, and I mean actually. Not pretending like with Chan."

"Joshuaㅡ"

"Nanami I love you, I mean it." Joshua confessed as he held onto her hand and gazed into her hazel eyes.

Nanami couldn't speak. What could she say? "Joshua I have to tell you something." Would she really tell Joshua about Chan's secret? Nanami's hands grew sweaty as her legs shook. A part of her wanted to make up a lie and spare Chan, but another part wanted to be honest with Joshua.