Caged

Caged

Alex continued the count. Deep in the heart of Dark Desires was a cold and empty place – a place where human flesh was quietly kept, where lives were slowly taken away, where hope was ruthlessly torn apart and dreams would fester in decay. The Cage was in the cellar. There the stock was kept – men, women, whatever was in demand. They were for consumption. They were for expensive taste. Death would be their fate.

‘This one,’ Sabian said, looking through the metal bars, ‘she’s been here a while... no one seems to want her. Very thin... barely any use. I suggest we cut her price... it’s either that or cut her throat.’ He moved on. ‘This one,’ he looked, ‘she’s only been here a week... you said Charlemagne might pay us a visit? Well I’m saving her for him.’ 

‘She looks good,’ Alex approved. She had long blonde hair and a gentle face – she would fetch a fortune. Charlemagne was Lord of Lanton. Perfection was expected. ‘That makes seven in total... two men, five women... soon we’ll need another hunt.’

‘Yes boss,’ Sabian agreed, ‘I’ll send word to Nico.’ Twenty cells lined the Cage. Cobbled stone layered the ground and iron bars prevented escape. ‘Karl’s been saying the same,’ he added.

‘How often do you take their blood,’ Alex asked?

‘Once a day,’ Sabian replied, ‘but numbers are low and supplies are thin.’ He paused. ‘The hospital’s stopped their supply... from what I hear, Caine has paid them off.’

‘Leave it to me,’ Alex replied, ‘time to check the cocktails.’ They left the Cage and locked the door. Turning right, they moved on through the cellar. Arriving at an open door, the vampires peered inside – Sophie was asleep. ‘Lucy is dead,’ Alex asked, ‘what about the others?’

‘Yeah, she’s dead alright,’ Sabian replied, ‘and the man who killed her. That leaves Sophie, Coco, Belle... Amber, Holly and Spencer.’ Cocktails were a different breed. Paid well – they chose to stick around. Night after night they were bitten – soon they were addicted. Alex knew they’d work for free but that was something he didn’t want. Taking care of them was worth the extra effort. The investment commanded a higher price – they were the best in Lanton.

‘Only six,’ Alex said, counting up the numbers, ‘A good cocktail can be difficult to find, we’ll have to get recruiting.’

‘What about Erica,’ Sabian asked, ‘she could work a treat?’

‘No,’ Alex answered, ‘she’s better where she is. She’s our only human whore. We need another like her.’

‘Well, that’s Grant’s department,’ Sabian replied, ‘you’ll have to talk to him.’

‘I will,’ Alex said, thinking to himself. ‘What about a man? This isn’t like the old days... we have female clientele. We need a cocktail to service them.’  

‘We tried that,’ Sabian explained, ‘a friend of Belle’s, he was in an indie band... never went anywhere. She got him the job but Lucia trained him in. Well... he got out of line and she killed him.’

‘Slane... I remember him.’ Alex replied.

‘Slade,’ Sabian corrected.

Alex nodded. ‘In any case we’ll need another. Lucia can train him in again. When you find a guy, I’ll tell her to show restraint.’ Alex moved on. He checked the blood supply in the storage room towards the back. Vials and bottles lined the wall, held in place on a wooden rack. Sabian was right, supplies were running low. Moving past the Gambling Den he continued on upstairs.