Beautiful Lies

Beautiful Lies

Jack poured a glass of wine. He couldn’t help but smile. Warm hands covered his. They belonged to Sarah. His wife looked majestic, elegant and kind. Her dress was made of precious satin – white and pure like her soul within. What a wonderful woman she was. What wonderful news they had to share – life was simply beautiful.

‘I love you,’ Jack confessed, gazing softly into her eyes. ‘I love you now with all my heart. I love what we are and what we’ve become... I love the future we’re set to create.’ Sarah’s eyes grew wide in affection. Her smile was bigger than his. All she wanted was to wrap herself inside his arms and never ever let go.

‘We have an announcement,’ Jack said, turning around to face the crowd. His eyes focused on Alex, who sat with Asha in comfort. Candlelight warmed the room – the dinner party was joyful. Lorenzo and Thorn stood with Winter. Leon and Reed were with their girls. Nico listened on. ‘It it with the greatest pleasure,’ Jack said, speaking now with pride, ‘that I can tell you all today... my friends, my family... that my beautiful wife, Sarah and I, are expecting our first child.’

The room erupted in a wave of cheers and a smashing set of congratulations. Alex and Asha rose from their seat – eager to celebrate the parents to be. Wrapping his arms around Jack, Alex gave him the warmest embrace. ‘My brother,’ he said, looking now into his eyes, ‘what wonderful news this is!’ Together they shared a moment – a bond existed between them that nothing now could break.

Sarah turned to Jack. She smiled again and whispered softly into his ear. ‘Go tell her the news,’ she said. Jack frowned – he was confused. ‘Go tell her,’ Sarah said again, ‘go tell Valerie our news.’

Suddenly Jack woke up. He lay on his bed, alone at home in Winter Creek. It was a gentle place to hide – away from stress and the city heat, quiet and remote on the outskirts of town. A headache slowly fractured his mind – he had drunk too much.

Jack thought of his dream. What a wonderful moment it was – but the dream itself was a beautiful lie. By then, Sarah was already depressed. She had started down the emotional path towards nervousness and fear. There was nothing Jack could do. There was no way back for her.

Staggering up, a bottle of whiskey that lay on his chest fell to the floor with a thud. Jack rubbed his hand across his face and wandered to the door. His body was sore but he had healed. Alcohol numbed the pain.

The bond he shared with Alex – that was the only truth. He remembered his friend, so happy then – his wife so beautiful, like Sarah had been. Jack regretted Asha’s death but he was not to blame. To Alex, it didn’t matter – Jack was the one who had to pay. Responsibility lay with him.

Looking through the window now, he peered out into the night. Nestled down a country path, past thick leaves and winter trees – Jack hid away in isolation. His cottage was cold and dark. A lonely place and never seen, for people were not welcome.

So many days he had that dream – the wine, the warmth, the tender feeling of family and friends. That was a better time – a time lost by heartache and death.

Jack wandered through the darkness. There was never a need for light. Stepping out into the kitchen, he grabbed another drink. He didn’t read the label. It didn’t matter now – the effect would be the same.

Sitting down on the wooden chair, his mind returned to Sarah. Her gentle face had never changed – she was beautiful and fair. Her voice was a gift of the gods – tender and pure, she was a messenger of love. Slowly Jack considered her words. Go tell her. Go tell Valerie. What was that supposed to mean? Valerie was dead, she had to be. Like Sarah now, she was lost to him.

He lifted the bottle to his lips and tasted his source of sweet relief. Soon his headache would be gone. Then he could dream of Sarah again. Reality was cold and hard. Beautiful lies were better.

follow @PrincePegasus