Free of Moral Burden

Sinclair worked alone. Hours slowly drifted by and now the office was empty. Martinez was injured. Parker was rattled to the core and he had retired home. Sinclair was focused and resolute, Akerman’s death haunted him still. A fire burned inside. An obsessive fury consumed him. He was confident – the girl they chased was the one he sought and he would bring her to justice.

Again he studied the footage. A traffic camera from across the road had captured Valerie’s attack. Sinclair watched as she held his partner against the glass. He watched the beast as it tore into his human flesh. He watched her leave and disappear – as Akerman bled out on the street.

Eric Akerman was a better man. He cared for those he chose to protect. Chester Sinclair was a different machine but he was free of moral burden. Decency was a luxury. Guided principles were for the weak. Ethical questions were answered – with a bullet to the head.

Sinclair studied the chase. Parker drove the car as Martinez called it in. The footage was astounding. Attached to the dashboard, the camera recorded it all. Speeding along the busy street, dashing through the traffic and darting around the bend – the LPD had tried their best but they were out of luck. The Ferrari was too fast. The target was too good.

Lanton was out of his jurisdiction but Sinclair didn’t care. His time at work in Winter Creek had taught the man to hate. Vampires were a virus, a disease upon the earth. In Winter Creek they nested. There they walked the street. Sinclair wanted to watch them burn, to wipe them from existence.

Akerman stood in his way. To him the world had its natural ways and a balance would be met – but little use was his philosophy now and what good did it do? Sinclair decided it died with him and nothing now would stop him. No one was left to temper his soul or keep him from his quest. His mission – a massacre. His duty – revenge.

Sinclair watched the brutal attack. Martinez got out from the car and called for Valerie’s surrender. Obliging him she waited – then, when he was close, she struck with vicious intent. Arm breaking, face smashing, head crushing violence. The vampire fought without mercy.

Sinclair sat back in anger. He watched her leap upon the car and break on through the glass. Pulling Parker from his seat, she prepared herself to feast. Then at last she let him go and that’s when Chester paused it. Freezing frame he gazed at her. He studies her face, her eyes, her mouth, her nose, her lips. Then he made his decision. He was right – it was the same girl all along.

Tracking her now to Hemmingway – Sinclair had pieced it together. Valerie was a criminal, the one who broke into Grafton and Sons. Carefully he studied the detailed report. One diamond bracelet – the only item stolen. Smashed glass and a dumpster truck. An eye witness thrown against the city street. Valerie had been busy.

He watched the footage back and forth. His hatred grew severe. Valerie danced out of the shop and off she went again. A car followed behind, but what car? Who was the driver and what did they want with her? Again he studied the footage, zooming in upon the man who sat inside in darkness. Clearing the image he captured the file and sent it through the computer. Sinclair waited for the result and read it with intrigue.

Raul Ramirez – vigilante, wanted for assault, battery, kidnapping, torture, blackmail, arson, homicide and mayhem. Known associates – Addison Grey, Walter Pool, Christopher Harris, Gideon Scott, Caine King...

King – Sinclair paused. That name he knew well. He was the wolf of Lanton, the gangster who commanded the West. Could it be that he was involved? Could he be the one to help? Sinclair would use him to find Raul and he would give him the girl. Then he would be free, to take her from this world – to rip her heart from within, to help avenge his forgotten kin. His partner was dead and in the ground but there were others long ago. A sinful vampire left its mark. Valerie reminded him of her.

Bitter memories overrode – his focus now was lost. He remembered a child in the living room as his parent’s were attacked. He remembered that time so long ago when he helpless to act. A boy of six, there was nothing he could do. The vampire murdered his loving father and his mother too.

Suppression. He gripped his head in pain. Suppression. Victor was his father. Kate had been his mom. Vampires were his past, his innocence now was gone.

follow @PrincePegasus