Chapter 24 - Hazel

"Not one for subtle entrances, are you?" Hazel muttered, then realized she was speaking out loud and clamped her hand over her mouth, demigodly embarrassed(she stopped saying 'mortally embarrassed' a long time ago, when she realized that she would never get the luxury of being normal).

"I'm merely practicing my stealth," Aether informed. "I do need to check to make sure my colleague's information is accurate."

"So, you have the next location?" Piper inquired. "'Cause we're kinda short on time." She was right. They had six days before Gaea woke up and destroyed the world.

"Good point," Aether agreed. "Your next destination is Thebes."

"Wait, the Thebes?" Leo asked, incredilous. "Like the one from the Greek myths?"

"The very same," Aether replied. "When you reach Thebes, you must look for two giants you have already faced. I believe you are familiar with the twins?"

Percy groaned. "Ephialtes and Otis. Or as I like to call them, the Big F and Otismeal."

"What?" Annabeth asked. "Why?"

"Tell you later," he promised. "Now, how are we supposed to find Ephialtes and Otis?"

Aether scratched his head, as if thinking hard. "I think I was told something. . ." Realization hit him. "Ah, yes. Look for the two stars."

"What do you mean by 'the two stars'?" Carter asked.

"I really don''t know. You'll have to ask another one of the minor gods," Aether sighed. "I really must be going now. Lots of messes to clean up on Mount Olympus. I'm afraid the gods were wrecks while they were incapitated." He shimmered for a few seconds, then disappeared.

The crew was silent for a few seconds, which was exceedingly rare. Then: "Who are Eph- Ephia- aw, forget it. You know what I mean," Sadie said.

"Ephialtes and Otis," Frank said. "Opposers of Bacchus, or Dionysus, trapped my dad, Mars, in a jar during the first giant war, Bacchus killed them with a pinecone on a stick. Probably my least favourite giants, besides whoever opposes Mars. We would be mortal enemies. What's his name? Dema-something?"

"Damasen," Annabeth said, her voice shaky like she was about to cry.

"And you most definitely would not be enemies," Percy added with a sad tone.

"How would you know?" Hazel asked, then it hit her. Percy and Annabeth had met Damasen in Tartarus. Damasen had helped them, probably getting hurt in the proccess, possibly killed.

"I'd rather not talk about it," Percy said shaking. "Anything but that."

Sadie changed the conversation. "What's for lunch? I'm starving."

********************************************************************

After lunch, Hazel was walking to her room alone when she saw Percy's door closed and heard voices from inside. She didn't mean to, but she started to eavesdrop.

"-terrible fate," Annabeth was saying. She sobbed. "No one should die like that."

"I know," Percy said, his voice low and soothing. "Gods, Annabeth, I know. Heroes shouldn't die, but they do. No true hero lives forever. Remember Luke? He became a hero because he died. Sometimes, you need to die to be a hero."

"You're not going to die, are you?" Annabeth asked.

"No." Percy sounded unsure, like he was planning something. Annabeth didn't notice his edginess.

"Good," she said, "because you are a hero without dying."

Hazel turned away. She wasn't sure of what she'd just heard, but there was one thing she was sure of.

Percy Jackson was planning on dying.

*****************************************************************************

Great time in Florida, Sorry for the long wait, Next chapter's Leo.

There. I got that done quickly. Bye!