Chapter 17: Homesick For A Feeling

12th July, 2020

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a losers." Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari

Author's Note: I have taken as much time as I needed to write this chapter, only because I couldn't compromise on it. I hope you enjoy Kahsan's union as much as I did. I feel like I just married one of my (fictional) daughters to this guy. 😭💕

Chapter 17:

Homesick For A Feeling

After sitting around in a wedding hall all day, without even a single glimpse of her husband, Kareema Hussain had to admit weddings were tiring. She'd always been one to enjoy them, but the day's sunny weather wasn't helping her either. Whenever she looked at the bride from a guest's point of view, she'd be amazed at the queen-like treatment the girl would be getting. But now, in the shoes of Mrs. Ahsan Malik, the only dominant emotion around people was embarrassment.

She had no idea why she felt guilty for making an old lady get water for her, even if they all assured her that heavy clothes weren't made for walking in. She felt awkward that people kept teasing her even in the presence of people the age of her great aunt. Another thing she was getting tired of was being called "a bride", making her feel as fragile as the tiny horse statue Ahsan had gifted her from their Old Souq trip. Her mood was worsening with time, and she had a strong feeling it had less to do with the people around her and more to do with why she wasn't left alone with Ahsan.

The clear sky soon changed hues, and the night arrived as it did everyday. It was around Maghrib when almost all the guests left the hall. The relatives who had decided that they'd stay at Ahsan's house were wrapping up the party when Kareema found herself saying goodbye to all those who were closest to her. By the time Isha had arrived at the Malik household, Kareema was sure she'd get to see Ahsan some time next week. Judging by the number of children swarming in and out of her (Ahsan's) room, and adults walking in to introduce themselves, Ahsan was just as busy as she was.

But she compelled herself to stay alert.

She was getting tired of the dress too, it was heavier than anything she'd ever worn. She knew she'd throw up if she was made to sit in it for even a few more minutes. If she was allowed her way, she would've married Ahsan in one of the simple dresses she owned. It had almost taken all her energy to convince everyone that she would not, in any circumstances, take her hijab off. She couldn't bring herself to argue about the dress too. It wasn't that she didn't want to look pretty, the hair stylist had done her job, but there was no way she was taking pictures with strangers without a hijab. Everything seemed easier when her mother agreed with her.

When her phone chimed with a notification from Ahsan, she opened it curiously and almost gagged at the conversation in horror. She should never have left her phone in Leila and Husna's hands...

KareemaH [12:42 PM]: Assalam Alaykum Ahsan 😘

KareemaH [12:45 PM]: I'm so glad and happy we're finally married 😍

KareemaH [01:18 PM]: Here's what I look like today (*seven pictures inserted*)

KareemaH [03:26 PM]: I've been telling Leila and Husna how unfair it is that they don't let us meet until the night. Don't you think so too?

KareemaH [03:35 PM]: I hope you've had lunch, I ate really late today, I almost didn't have enough energy.

KareemaH [05:12 PM]: (*twenty four pictures inserted*)