Chapter 10: Stories of Love

5th April, 2020

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: "A person asked Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) . "What (sort of) deeds in or (what qualities of) Islam are good?" He replied, "To feed (the poor) and greet those whom you know and those whom you don't know."" Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 2

Chapter 10:

Stories of Love

Walking out of the orphanage, Leila felt a little sad for the girls she had just visited. Though she tried her best to make them feel loved and wanted, the fear that overshadowed their happiness was too heavy for her to bear. Every two weeks, she would find the time to sit with the little munchkins in the girls' dormitory and tell them about things they needed to know. This time was no different, and as she climbed into Laith's car with a salaam, she remembered their eager faces as she had spoken.

"There was once a princess who lived in a castle." Leila started, as the little ones listened with fervour. "She was so beautiful that her parents worried for her. They would keep her locked up in her room because they were scared they wouldn't be able to protect her. Little did they know that the princess was protected by the Lord of the Worlds. The princess didn't mind, as long as she was given what she wanted. They lived for many years in a faraway kingdom, and everyday, the princess looked out of her window on the seventh floor and saw birds flying free atop the beautiful forest.

One day, she heard the most peculiar sound coming from a distant land. It seemed to call her from farther than her eye could see. It was a beautiful sound, and she heard it five times every day. She tried saying it, word by word, and had finally learnt it in a few weeks. But she knew, if she told anybody about it, they would distract her with other things and convince her that the castle was her home. They would plan to increase the security around her room. She was sick and tired of the castle, she only seeked to find the peace the birds did everyday. She wanted to be free, and it seemed that the voice calling to her was her only hope.

On a dark, moonless night, she tied a rope to her window and climbed down the castle wall. She had covered herself with a black cloak and scarf, knowing that it would keep her well hidden. She mounted her horse and took off into the forest. It took her very long to reach the other side, but her patience was rewarded, because she heard the peculiar sounds nearby.

It was a masjid, with a beautiful green dome and white walls. After a few hours, she mustered up her courage to go inside. Again, she was rewarded with a book that was the Word of God. It promised her the peace she was looking for, for when we take a step towards Him, He takes ten steps towards us. Things took their turn for the worst when somebody recognised her and vowed to return her to her parents. She did not want to be caged anymore, she wanted to learn and learn for eternity, and thus, she fought with anyone who dared to send her back."

"Does it have a sad ending?" Halima asked, her eyes round.

"No, it has a happy ending." Leila smiled at the six year old who seemed reassured enough to continue. "Then the day came when somebody from the castle informed her parents. The princess was now scared, she thought they would take away all the books she had read on her beautiful religion. Horsemen, caravans and tribes plotted against her, and she fought for her rights until the very end. And one day, she died a beautiful death with the shahadah on her lips."

"You said it wouldn't have a sad ending!" Halima complained as the other girls cried out in sadness.

"But it does not." Leila shook her head. "The Princess now lives in the Gardens of Jannah, she is happier there. Don't you think her struggle to find and learn the Truth was worth it if she found herself in eternal bliss at last?"