Chapter 09: Rewards of the Patient

1st April, 2020

"It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that a man wanted to marry a woman and the Prophet said: 'Look at her, for there is something in the eyes of the Ansar.'" Grade: Sahih (Darussalam) Reference: Sunan an-Nasa'i 3247

Chapter 09:

Rewards of the Patient

"Kareema, is there anything you want to tell me?" Her mother asked, making Kareema look at her through the mirror.

"No, Mum." Kareema shook her head, before going back to adjusting the maroon hijab on her head. "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know why I feel like this might not work out." Her mother said, sitting down on her bed.

"Why do you think that?" Kareema asked, carefully choosing her words to conceal her surprise, wondering where the distaste stemmed from.

"If there's a reason that you think we should know about, tell me." Mrs. Hussain looked at her daughter with an earnest expression.

"I don't know of any such reason, though." Kareema turned to look at her. "I don't understand, why are we still questioning this?"

"I didn't like it that he is contacting us after so long, it looks like he's a bit indecisive." Mrs. Hussain spoke, and Kareema hadn't even thought of that in her happiness that he was finally willing to talk. "Truth be told, I'm scared. What if he's like that in the future too? What if he has reasons that can't be forgiven?"

Kareema sighed.

"What if--?"

"I don't know why he took this much time, but I do know that he's one of the best persons I have heard about." Kareema spoke truthfully, unable to look at her mother in the eye out of shyness. "I could be wrong, but I want to refrain from thinking too much about this. I can only judge after I know his reason."

"You are too soft for this world." Her mother shook her head, smiling a little, though not entirely reassured. "I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that."

"Weren't we advised to think the best of people?" Kareema gave her mother a smile.

"May Allah guide you." Her mother spoke. "I will make Du'a that this works out for the best. Now come on, your father and Ahsan have already arrived from the masjid."

Kareema nodded, took a deep breath, and followed her mother out of the room. She found it a little strange that Ahsan wanted to speak to her in private, but her father had agreed as he knew the guy was trustworthy. Besides, he could see them clearly through the balcony door, it didn't really matter if he couldn't hear them.

Kareema walked into the balcony and her cheeks suddenly felt too warm for her liking as Ahsan looked up at her. He stood up, smiled and greeted her confidently, and she replied politely before settling herself on the red cushioned chair a few feet away from him.

I missed you, Ahsan. Her mind spoke, making her feel like somebody had undone a few knots in her heart. I missed that smile.

"How are you?" He asked.

"Alhamdulillah, I'm fine." Kareema replied reflexively, her eyes tracing the patterns on the floor.

"Aah..." He smiled. "Alhamdulillah, but I think being your fiancé has its own perks..."

Kareema looked up at him in shock, and blinked as he was looking right at her. Her heart skipped a beat as he gazed at her continuously, capturing her within his eyes. It was with a sincere intensity she wasn't familiar with.