Twenty: Guilt Trips and Old Panties

At their spot, it was like time had stood still. Taylin hadn't realized how much she missed it. David led her to the rock where they settled down next to each other. He wanted to hear all about her time back home, congratulating her on her degree. It was much like the beginning, before Stacy had gone rogue and caused her to tumble headfirst into this life. They drifted into silence and she leaned into him, head resting on his chest while he buried his nose in her hair, playing loosely with the strands.

"Where'd you take Michael earlier?" She tried asking.

"For a ride." Was all he offered and she knew that was all she'd be able to get out of him about the new boy.

"Can I ask you something else? You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"Hmm?" David mumbled. The sound vibrated in his chest and she smiled, leaning closer.

"I can feel how much you care about me... Why didn't you come for me? You move so fast, with or without the bike. You probably could have made the trip in one night. So why resort to others at all when you could have come after me?"

He leaned back on his arms, palms outstretched.

"I wanted to. Even made it to Colorado."

"Why did you turn back?"

"I was ordered to."

"By your Sire? What exactly is his issue with me? He doesn't even know me!"

"It's more complicated than that. I can't explain." But he wanted to. The truth was a painful one, and with or without an order, it was not his place to tell her.

Taylin sighed but agreed to drop the subject. This sire confused her, pissed her off. She wanted to tear into whatever cave he kept hidden away in to give him a piece of her mind. But knowing she would get nowhere, she let it go. Even with her slip up earlier in the night, David was surprised at the massive amount of strength Taylin was able to show to reign in her vamp side. The two years she'd been away there had been no casualties causing her to remain in an ageless limbo.

"Hey," David called for her attention. "Have I told you that I love you?"

"No. No you haven't." She smiled and leaned up to kiss his jawline. "But it's nice to hear."

***

Taylin agreed to stay with him that night so David took her with him to the cave. After taking care of her bathroom business, she wanted to explore for a private place as far from Star as she could get. She trudged out to the front room to get help from the boys.

"Hey, is there a flash light around here anywhere?" It was too dark for her to see anything without one.

Paul clicked his tongue twice to gain her attention and tossed a large flashlight her way. She caught it before it could be split to pieces by the stone fountain.

"Scared of the dark?" He teased.

"No, I want to see what's back there and if there's actual rooms. Where's your sense of adventure?"

"Girl please, I've seen every square foot of space in this place." He laughed at his rhyme. Deciding to join her, he and Marko followed her back down the hallway.

Taylin entered the first doorway and shined the light around. It was completely empty and bits of cave wall could be seen, but it was definitely a room, but small. Exploring a few more, she finally found one more to her liking. She turned to the boys with a request.

"Can you guys bring a mattress in here for me?"

"T, it's getting a bit late for manual labor. You want some lights strung up too?" Marko said.