"Cowardice" PruHun

Request from happyhampster2

  Elizaveta gazed out the window of the passenger seat, watching the raindrops slide down the pane. She had been dragged out on a 'date' with her enemy Gilbert. She glanced at him and sighed in utter annoyance.
  He was looking at the road, spewing useless words from his annoying mouth.
  She just wanted to smack him. He never shut up, constantly saying stupid things in his stupid accent with stupid hand gestures.
  When would he understand that no one gave a damn about what he had to say?
  Oh how she hated him! His irritatingly loud voice, his unkempt hair, his wrinkled clothes, his total narcissism, everything.
  So why did she go on this date?
  In all reality, it hadn't been too bad. They had a picnic in the woods, took a walk, normal stuff. Though he never shut up the entire time... They had to leave though, because an unexpected rainstorm had arrived.
  Elizaveta was trying to convince herself that she hadn't enjoyed it, but that was something she couldn't say truthfully. The entire time, her heart had been beating at an alarming rate, like it had when she used to get into fistfights with the boys.
  It was beating now, loud enough that she could hear it thumping in her ears. She was feeling uncomfortably hot, and she felt a sweat drop roll down her face.
  This whole date was a bust.
  But at that thought, an alarming idea burst into her head: She was scared to admit that she had enjoyed the date.
  It would be another victory for him.
  Something else that he'd won.
  She refused to give up so easily.
  "Hallo~?"
  Elizaveta snapped out of her thoughts.
  "Are you in there? Earth to crapwad, Earth to crapwad!" He poked her forehead teasingly.
  "Oh shut up! I heard you!" She huffed.
  He frowned slightly, but then his eyes widened when he noticed that she was sweating.
  "Ah! You're sweating!!" He scooted away from her. "You're not sick are you?"
  "Keep your eyes on the road!! And no, I'm not sick! Just a little...warm..." Only after she said it did she realize how weird it sounded.
  He laughed boisterously and a sly smirk spread on his face. "Man, I didn't know I was that hot~" Gilbert glanced over at her and laughed even more at her disgusted reaction.
  "Don't inflate your head too much." She said with a scowl.
  It went silent after that, and even though she hated the sound of his voice, the absence of it bothered her. She was just so used to it....There was only the sound of the rain.
  They pulled into her driveway, and Elizaveta watched as he came over to open her door, and opened it in his face. She slammed it and began to walk away without saying anything, she wanted to get inside before she got too wet.....And she wanted away from him. Away from today.
  Suddenly, she felt something brush against her hand. Her green eyes glanced down, and her heart nearly stopped when she saw Gilbert's hand next to her own.
  It grabbed hers and she heard him whisper from behind her.
  "What's wrong, Schatz? I tried hard to make today enjoyable...I really did. And you start acting like a jerk...That's totally un-awesome..."
  She heard his voice trail off as he attempted to be humorous.
  Her hair was soaking wet as the light rain had turned into a downpour.
  They stood there, completely drenched at that point, and neither one of them moved.
  She could feel her heart thumping erratically in her chest, grateful that the rain covered the sound.
  "What....What did I do wrong...?" His voice cracked, and he sounded like he was on the edge of tears.
  Her eyes widened and she spun around.
  Was he, The Great and Awesome Gilbert, crying? Over her?
  She couldn't tell because of the rain that was streaming down his face, but he didn't appear to be.
  In fact, he looked stronger than ever, as if he was trying to defend something that he cared about.
  "N-nothing!" She stammered. "I uh--well..." She was blushing profusely, and her body was heating up, even in the freezing rain.
  "You did nothing wrong! It..It's me." Elizaveta looked away, she couldn't face him.
  She hated him!!! Right?
  "I....I'm a coward." She mumbled. Had she really just told her enemy, who she refused to lose to, that she was a coward?!?! What was wrong with her?!?!!!?
  "What?" He asked.
  She could see his shadow lean over her.
  "I'm a coward." She stated matter-of-factly. She was standing up straight, staring forward, but she was unable to meet his confused red eyes.
  "What??! You must be crazy! You're the strongest, bravest, smartest, most awesome girl I've ever met!" He yelled in a flabbergasted tone.
  She met his gaze and stared at him longingly. Without any thought, she grabbed his collar and pulled him forward, but stopped.
  Their noses were bumping each other roughly and their lips were inches apart.
  They looked deep into each other's eyes for a moment, both unsure of what was happening.
  She felt his warm breath against her face and he began to move closer, trying to close the space between them.
  Her stomach was in a knot, and she imagined seeing a familiar look in his eyes. One that read, 'Ha! I won again! I got my way! When I'm done with her, I'll go on another adventure to find someone new!' The one he wore when he'd kick her ass in a fight, but it took on a different meaning now...Was everything just a game to him?!
  She pulled away with a gasp, knowing that she'd imagined it, but not caring either way.
  He fell forward, but caught himself. The look in his eyes was both hurt and confused.
  Damn it!! She mentally screamed at herself. She was scared to get close, to be betrayed, or to hurt someone else. But she had hurt someone right now...
  She was a damn coward.
  "Don't you see?!??" She cried angrily. "Do you get it now?!?!??" Water fell into her mouth, and it was salty.
  She was crying...
  "I'm scared!!! I'm a coward!!!! That just proved my point!! I hate you because I'm jealous! I'm jealous of how carefree you are, how you're not afraid of anything!! How you can just convince yourself that everything is okay when it isn't!!! I'm jealous of you because you're not a COWARD!!!"
  Elizaveta spun on her heel away from his sympathetic gaze. The last thing she needed was sympathy. Especially from him.
  "I'm a coward.... And that will never change."
  It grew quiet, then she could hear his footsteps behind her.
  "You know....."
  She glanced at him ever so slightly and saw him smiling.
  Why is he smiling at a time like this?! She felt anger stirring in her gut.
  "They say opposites attract..." Gilbert spun her around and, before she knew what was happening, he pulled her into a rough kiss.
  Their lips crashed together awkwardly, but she loved it. It was like him....His lips were soft and demanding. She looked up at him, seeing his eyes squeezed shut. Elizaveta found herself smiling into the kiss as she pushed into him.
  He chuckled and hugged her tightly.
  They pulled away for air, and she felt the awkwardness fade away. At that moment she realized that there was no one else who knew more about her, who had spent more time with her, who she'd remember on her deathbed...She loved this crazy man who insisted that he was Prussian and not German.
  Why had it taken her so long to realize it?
  "I think that phrase applies to magnets." She said with a chuckle.
  He smirked mischievously down at her. "That doesn't make it wrong though~"
  And as they kissed again, Elizaveta couldn't think of a place that she'd rather be than in Gilbert's arms during a rainstorm.