Chapter 42

Take my hand
and we can go walking
and we can talk about
whatever is on your mind

Take My Hand - Picture This

(I love this songgg)
~•~

Lauren hadn't been on the Island for a day, and noon the next day was steadily approaching. 'The Chasm,' she'd called it. Lauren knew that Samara had used such an ominous name for a reason, and that it was obviously dangerous if they'd not gone near it earlier. She wondered just how bad it was.

"Have you seen Samara yet?" Carl asked and Lauren shook her head. She had enjoyed their nights peace on the Island. It seemed so safe, and so far away from all of the troubles she dealt with every day. She knew that somehow; Her life could be like that. Someday she would be free.

"I'd rather if she just got all this over with," Lauren sighed, "I think she likes this suspence."

"Whatever it is," Carl said, placing a comforting hand on the small of Lauren's back. She smiled. "We'll get through it. We always do."

"I know," She grinned hopefully, wrapping an arm around Carl's. She hadn't got the chance to be close to him the past while, and she missed the simple feeling of his hands on her.

Lauren always had something on her mind, whether it was Negan, Saviors, Survivors or the whereabouts of her elusive best friend, Georgina. She hadn't laid eyes on the girl since she stormed Sanctuary in an attempt to save her. Although, Lauren knew Georgina was capable of taking care of herself, and she wasn't alone. She had that boy.

The sun warmed her skin as she sat out on the lakes edge with Carl next to her. She relaxed into him, placing a gentle kiss on his arm.
"We're gonna be okay."

"Lauren," Tara called from the edge of the trees, "Samara wants us all."

Lauren sighed inaudibly and jumped up, brushing the dust off her leggings. She unconsciously laced her fingers with Carl's and walked. Her megre group were standing in the centre of ring of Islanders, Samara standing opposite as if to address them all. She nodded her head towards Lauren upon her approach, and the young girl took her place among her friends. Carl still held her hand as Samara began to speak.

"I want you to prove your worth to me, to the Island," Samara explained, a wry smile on her face. She held a cold demeanour, as all leaders do. "I don't want to send you all. I'm only sending two.. of my choice."

"How are two people supposed to carry a haul of food, ammo and weapons on their own?" Rick protested.

"I may have lied about that part," Samara spoke and Lauren wrinkled her eyebrows in confusion, "It's not much you're getting, just a small amount of rare drugs and medicines that we need. Two people can easily carry it."

"I don't understand," Lauren pressed, "Why tell us differently?"

"Weapons, food, ammo; They all refer to open spaces and perhaps outdoors," Samara explained, "I didn't want to make you think that this was going to be difficult.. Perhaps you will understand my meaning when you see it.. the Chasm."

"What exactly is this place we're going to?" Carl asked and Samara flicked her gaze to him.

"When this.. disease broke out, it hit this area pretty bad. There was a building in the middle of town. I don't remember what it was before but the basement acted as a bunker and there was a lot of people holed up down there. They sent food, water, and a small amount of precious medicines, maybe hoping that people would survive down there. Outside, it just got worse, until the point that the army bombed the area. That building partially collapsed, trapping and killing whoever was left down there. If you successfully retrieve these medicines, and anything else you can get, we will help you fight against Negan. I promise you that."