Chapter 3

Abraham had chosen to drive the van, mostly because he didn't trust Lauren's skills in driving anything. Chloe sat in the passenger seat, humming softly to herself as she gazed out the window.

Lauren, Carl, Jo and Rachel sat in the back. Rachel held the map while they attempted to follow the directions given by one of the men.

"Right!" Rachel called and Abraham swerved the van into the turn, cursing silently to himself. Carl tried to help with the directions while Lauren sat absently on the floor of the vehicle, thinking over what they knew. Could there be something bigger at work here?

"We should come to a Y in the road now. It's there," Carl said and Abraham slowed the van, pulling up at the side of the junction. He hopped from the drivers side and pulled open the side door of the van.

They each piled out, weapons in hand.

"The tracks should still be visible," Lauren said, "Be careful not to step on them."

She held her crossbow in one hand, her head bowed as she searched the dusty ground for either footprints or tyre tracks.

"We have a slight problem," Chloe sighed, "They go both ways in the road."

"They could have come back," Carl offered and Lauren shook her head, her lips pursed.

"Or the people that took them could have come back."

Silence fell over the group of people and Lauren sighed inwardly. She brushed her fingers through the stray hairs that fell around the side of her face and tucked them behind her ears before standing up straighter.

"We need to split up," She announced, her tone less formal than usual, "Carl, you take Abe and Chloe. If you find anything head back to Greenview, we'll meet you there. Take the van."

She gave a short nod towards Rachel and Jo.

"You guys are with me. We'll take left and follow the road around and back to Greenview."

She stepped up to Carl and placed her hands on his arms, her eyes pleading his.

"If anything goes wrong, fire a shot," She said, "I'll find you. Be careful, I love you."

"I love you more," He replied, his hand gently grasping hers. He placed a chaste kiss on her knuckles and let her hand slip out of his.

She hated that she felt like it could be more than just two people taking off together.

Rachel and Jo had already began to walk, the others climbing back into the black van before driving off. She sighed, loading a bolt into her crossbow. She began to walk, a monotonous action, placing one foot infront of the other. She smiled as she watched Rachel and Jo joke with eachother, teasing playfully. She knew that Rachel had fell head over heels for Jo, which wasn't hard. Without Rachel, Carl wouldn't be here and that was a debt Lauren would pay forever.

Jo was kind-hearted, he held onto the shread of light left inside of him and he never let himself fall into the shadows, which was something admirable. He was strong. Rachel was different, she was a lot like Lauren, open to only those that she cared for. She did what she needed to do to survive. She was closed off, but perhaps more trusting than her leader. She was a good judge of character, strong-willed and brave.

She had made many friends along the way, but those she held onto, were for life.

"Have you guy dropped the L-bomb yet?" Lauren asked, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Yes, every night," Jo replied, his eyebrow raised.

"I ment love, Jo!" Lauren exclaimed, laughing to herself, "Christ."

"He's joking!" Rachel held her face in her hands, her cheeks tinting crimson.

"I know you ment love," He chuckled, "You guys took it the wrong way with your dirty minds. Not my fault."

"God I hate you," Rachel rolled her eyes, her faced heated and red.

"It's a love/hate relationship," Jo explained with a humorous smile, "I think her way of telling me she loves me is telling me she hates me. Women."

Lauren and Rachel both looked at him with an eyebrow raised and he shrugged his shoulders with a nervous laugh.

"I see something ahead," Lauren said suddenly, her walking pace turning into a jog as she approached the overturned car on the road, a few Walkers wandering nearby. She held up her crossbow in one hand and took them down. Jo and Rachel circled the car, checking the immediate area.

"The tracks end here," Jo noted, following the patterned tracks with his eyes.

"I think we found the missing people," Rachel sighed, gesturing to a half-eaten corpse on the ground and another in the back of the overturned car, "But wait? He's been shot in the head."

Lauren snapped her head up suddenly, examining the corpse. She moved to the car, pulling the other from the back, he had the same injury, a bullet to the brain.

"It dosen't make sense if they left themselves," Lauren's eyebrows were furrowed in deep thought, "They were shot in head, neither of them had turned. He was in the back seat instead of the passenger or driver. They were taken."

She stepped back from the car, her eyes scanning the scene. Gas leaked from the fuel tank of the car, a puddle slowly forming on the dusty ground.

"They were taken back down the road, make it a few miles until here where the car overturned, perhaps a horde or they fought back," She said, painting picture with her mind, "They might have tried to escape, so they were shot in the head. Whoever took them left, there is still footprints."

"They'll be back, for their stuff," Jo said, his words catching in his throat. He had popped the trunk of the car, food and weapons that had been scavenged sat inside.

"We need to get out of here," Rachel's eyes had widened and she had gripped her machete tighter.

"Agreed."

Lauren turned and they began walking away from the scene, leaving behind the supplies. She didn't want to risk another minute where they could return to collect them. Her finger hovered over the trigger of her crossbow as she walked, a worried uneasiness in the pit of her stomach.

"You're not goin' anywhere."

Lauren stopped dead in her tracks, her eyes closing for just a second, anger rising from under her skin. She gripped the handle of her crossbow deathly tight, her knuckles turning white. Slowly, she turned around, facing the man who held a gun pointed at her head. Behind him were three more poeple, each of them holding a weapon.

Half of his face looked as if it had been burnt off, scar tissue left behind. Blonde hair covered some of it, reaching down to his stubbled jawline. His glowered at her, his lip twitching distastefully.

"Hand over all your weapons."

~•~

Welp that's not good!
Dwight just means bad.

Can she get out of this scenario? Problems, I just love them.

I have a few action packed chapters planned ahead so be ready B)

Vote and Comment!

Forever Broken // Carl Grimesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें