Chapter 28

Georgina felt a weight on her heart as she approached the gates of Greenview without any success in saving Lauren. She had got so close only to fall short. She should have tried harder. She should have just grabbed Lauren and dragged her from that rutting cell. She shouldn't have failed.

How could she face Carl knowing that the person he cared most about in the world didn't know who he was? She had ran when Lauren told her to, to a better end for herself. She used that kindness to find Lauren and take her home, to save her. But she was unable to repay that debt. She raked her fingers down her scalp and exhaled a laboured breath.

"Stop thinking," Matt said, his comforting voice locking her demons away, "It's not your fault. We just need to try again."

Georgina hadn't fully forgiven Matt for neglecting to tell her that he was in fact, once a Savior. She understood his reasonings, and he left because he couldn't harm people like they did. But something about it didn't sit right with her. Perhaps the fact that Calum met his end because of those people, or because he has killed innocent people for the betterment of the Saviors. She'd made mistakes too, she didn't pretend to be an angel, but she wished Matt had told her from the beginning. She didn't blame him for thinking she'd mistrust him.

"Try again.." Georgina sighed, "What have they done to her?"

"Better not to think of that right now," Matt said sadly, "We're here."

Georgina and Matt walked through the unguarded gates of Greenview. She remembered when she'd first stepped foot in Greenview, the hope that she felt when she laid eyes on it, now, it just felt dismal.

"I don't want them to see me," She whispered to Matt, "I don't think I'm ready to come back yet."

Matt nodded.

"I.. I want to see they're okay," She said, "I'm not coming back unless I've done something to help."

There wasn't much coverage in the wide open pathway, besides a short stone wall that ran along the path. She crouched behind it and peered over at the people that were gathered outside. She could see Carl, crouched down beside a bent girl, his hand outstreatched. It was Lauren, knelt down clutching her body close to her as if it would provide her with a better comfort. She watched her leader flinch away from his touch. She watched the boys heart shatter into a million tiny pieces.

Georgina felt a warm tear slide down her cheek, a mix of anger and sadness. She pressed her back against the stone wall and puffed out a breath. She felt Matt's finger against her cheek as he dried the tears from her eyes.

"What's happening?"

Georgina shook her head.

"He took her here. He dropped her off like a wrapped present once he'd broken her enough that it would shatter Carl too."

She squeezed her eyes shut and swallowed the anger that rose to her skin.

"He wanted to show us all what he could do. So he took the person we all looked up to and he broke her," A sob rose in Georgina's throat, "She's been through so much already."

She felt Matt's arms wrap around her and without even thinking she leaned into his warmth.

"Take me away from here," She whispered into his shoulder, "Please."

She would not return unless she had found some way to help them. She didn't care if it would kill her, she would do it. For Lauren. For Carl. For the Survivors and for Calum. She had been hunting them for long enough and now it was time to strike.

~•~

"Feeling any better?" Matt asked and Georgina shrugged. They'd left Greenview a fee hours ago, and settled themselves only a mile or so away in the first house that looked remotely comfortable. Matt smashed in a window, which granted them some unwanted company but nothing major.

She hated that in times like these she feared the living more than the dead.

"I just feel useless, Matt," She sighed, letting her head fall back against the soft cloth couch. She pressed her fingers to her temples and inhaled exasperatedly, "I tried to help and to save her and I failed. She needed me and I wasn't there. What kind of friend am I?"

"Hey," Matt soothed, "You couldn't have done anything for her Gina. That weight is not on your shoulders. You tried when you could have ran and that means something."

"Not enough," She shook her head, "Not enough for her, like it wasn't enough to save Calum."

Matt seemed to pause for a second, as if carefully deciding on his words. He glanced up at her, as she looked down at him. A silent plea to let a demon escape.

Almost timidly, Matt spoke.
"Who was he?"

"He was once my everything," She sighed, a sad smile on her sun-kissed face. She felt a tear roll down her cheek, but Matt caught it as it fell, "He jumped into my life just when I needed someone the most, saved my life too."

She chuckled sadly to herself, wiping the moisture from her eyes.

"We... We were driving through Georgia when these people stopped us. They wanted to take me.. Dwight wanted to take me. Calum wouldn't let him.. So.. He shot him. He died in my arms."

Matt felt his heart sink into an abyss. He should have told her about the Saviors. He should have known that her hatred for them was not just because of what they had done to the Survivors. He felt horrible, knowing that the man he was to compete with would always hold a place in her heart. He didn't know if she had room for him.

"His last words to me were: 'You need to keep going, you need to do it for me. Keep living, baby. I love you.' He died right then. The Saviors left, didn't think I was worth the trouble after killing him."

"I'm sorry," Matt frowned. It pained Georgina to see such a sad expression on such a beautiful face. She smiled reassuringly and dried the tears from her eyes.

"I have to move on. It's in the past now," She said, "I feel better letting a little bit of it out."

"C'mere," Matt whispered, wrapping his arms around Georgina. She sighed contently, letting herself be comforted by someone else for the first time in a long time. She breathed in his scent, a calmness washing over her. She felt the corners of her lips turn up.

"Matt?" She whispered.

"Yeah?"

"When all this is over," She said, "I want you to come stay in Greenview with me."

"There would be nothing I'd love more," He replied, a small smile on his lips. He stroked her silky black hair with his fingers, cradling her until she fell asleep in his arms.

"I'd do anything for you," He whispered into her hair, her delicate body rising and falling gently with a deep slumber. He knew she couldn't hear him, and somehow, his unanswered words freed some tension from his heart.

Matt held the sleeping girl in his arms, knowing deep down that she already held part of his heart in her delicate hands.

~•~

WOOOO ITS MINA ! And I finally updated :( Work has me busy af!

11:11 I wish for a Larl moment :'(

Vote and Comment! <3