There was also the fact she had packed all my stuff- except for my laptop- and painkillers. Something was going to happen, and it was going to happen soon.

I decided to take as much as I could carry. I put my laptop and charger in the bag with my clothes. Then I went downstairs and scribbled a note:

                       Nick,

                                   I'll be gone for a while. I'm not sure if I'll be coming back.

                             I had another dream- not the same. It was a warning, so I have to go.

                             I'm sorry. I hope you won't get in anymore trouble because of me.

                                                          Goodbye,

                                                                   Ana.

Now would have been a good time to call me mental again. I'm going into the woods- away from my only home- because of a dream that said I would be killed any time after two today. Not only that, but I know full well the dangers of the woods. There was no way in hell that I was sane at the moment.

It may be normal for me sometimes, but it sure isn't normal in these circumstances.

I left the note in the kitchen. I also added under my name, "I ate before I left." It's not a lie until I leave. So, not wanting to lie, I popped a strawberry in my mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After packing everything I needed that she didn't pack yet, I grabbed my three bags and snuck out the back. I had locked the new front door- Nick had a key- and left the back unlocked. I stared at the back gate for at least five minutes. I was really scared. There were freaking wild wolves out there! I had every right to be scared.

Then I saw a glimpse of something by the last line of trees. A girl was there, wearing a small torn dress. She didn't look scared when she looked at me, but she sure was when she looked behind her.

"Hey! What are you doing in the woods? Hurry come here! It's safe here!" I hissed at her with an urgency. Something else was out there with her. Something she kept looking back for.

She looked startled that I said that, but didn't move. I looked at her in confusion. Then I made up my mind. I dropped my bags and ducked under the fence.

As I made my way towards her, I saw a wolf coming out of the shadows. He stood in front on the girl, like he was protecting her from me. I was very confused at this point. Why would a wolf protect a human girl?

She must have seen the confusion I was showing because she whispered something to him and he looked confused to. He grunted as he sat on his haunches and stared at me with a warning in his eyes.

"I'm sorry about that, he thought you were going to hurt me." She said. "I was sent here by our Alpha to retrieve you before the rogues could get to you." She smiled, but dropped it when she saw my face.

I must have looked like confusion itself. I was frowning while looking back and forth from her to the wolf. When I registered what she said, I felt even more confused.

"You can talk to him?" I asked.

"Yes." She answered sounding like it was perfectly normal to be able to commune with an animal.

"Alpha? But you're a human. Rogues. Wow. My day just got better." I muttered.

"Don't you know?" She asked. When she saw my face again, she explained. "There are wolves, and then there are us. Humans that were born half wolf. We earn the ability to change into a wolf when we reach the age of sixteen. I'm not sixteen yet, so I can't change. John here can though, because he's sixteen."

"How old are you?" I asked.

"Thirteen." she said. Suddenly their heads darted towards the woods. "They're coming. How fast can you run?" She asked.

"Pretty fast. Why? And who's coming?"

"Rogues. We have to go- now."

"Why not just go into my place?" I asked.

"They'll taunt us until the villagers come out for the day. Just hurry. Grab your bags. John will carry one, I can carry a light one, you can grab the third. Just hurry."

I nodded, sensing her urgency.

I ducked under the gate and tossed two bags through. She grabbed the food, he grabbed my clothes, and I took my extra.

"Our border isn't that far away. We just have to get to the other tree line." She yelled across to me as we started running.

"Okay. I can do this. Just to the other tree line." I was muttering. I saw her struggling with the bag- it was plastic, so she probably didn't want it to rip. "Here toss it!" She did and I caught it. I saw that now she didn't have anything in her hands, she could keep up with John, who was at a fast trot. I kept up pretty well too.

We reached the trees, but since no one stopped, neither did I. We kept running until we could no longer hear the howls and barks of the angry wolves.

The girl slowed next to me, and I noticed John did too.

"Call me Sarah. You'll get some more answers when we get to the house." She told me. I nodded. I took a peek at the watch on my right wrist. I had found it before I left, behind the china cabinet. It was brand new- still in the box.

"We'd better hurry then. I turn sixteen in one hour." I muttered, loud enough for them to hear, but quiet enough so that no one else could.

She gasped, and then slapped her forehead. John stepped forward, but she just waved him off. "I totally forgot to ask that! How stupid I am!" She muttered to herself. "We'll be there in ten minutes walking." She told me. I nodded and we were off again.

I really hoped that I would know everything before I "received the ability to change into a wolf". At least I had one answer. I knew what was going to happen to me; I just didn't know why the hell it was going to be painful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~