Chp. 35 "Secret Skills"

Start from the beginning

There was really nothing to worry about.

I kissed her soft cheek as I hugged her closer, “If I’m around I promise nothing bad will happen, to you, Max, or Gage.”

This got her to soften and relax a bit, and she smiled into our next kiss. I wanted her along for the ride more than anything because if I didn’t have her with me I would be worried sick about her the entire time I was away. I wanted her in my life, and even though she didn’t have powers she could still be in it.

I whispered, “And just think of all the nights we’ll have alone, no interruptions…”

I heard her giggle slightly into my neck as she kissed my jaw, “That is a good positive…”

My left hand grazed over the smooth skin of her leg while my right hand gripped her waist. The sexual tension between us was obvious, but lately I had been feeling quite attached to Avery emotionally as well. I figured it was because it was a new relationship, and also I had never connected with someone so quickly. I loved this girl, I knew that much, but loving someone made you vulnerable, and loving someone in my condition, well, it could be deadly.

And as much as I tried not to think about it, the thought never failed to consume me on some nights when I lied awake.

I pulled back, taking in her face as she blushed slightly, either from my stare or the Florida heat. Her skin was golden with a summer tan while her light hazel eyes were completely pulling me in. She had decided to wear her hair down today despite the heat, but the humidity and sweat just made it look even more naturally beautiful. I grazed a strand of reddish brown hair behind her ear and smiled, “You’re beautiful.”

Her blushing deepened another shade as she leaned her head into my palm, “You’re not so bad yourself.”

I smirked at her response, knowing she was trying to get a rise out of me. I kissed her neck and began to get carried away when Max shouted, “Andy!”

I looked up in annoyance, but instantly I realized what he was going to do. The flashing ball of lightning in his hand was sparking, and I watched in horror as he raised his hand into the air. I had about half a second to react, and I stood, reaching into myself and pulling the “arm” to extend in front of me and Avery.

Max had sent the ball of electricity hurling towards us within the next half second, and I strengthened Avery’s side of the shield as I prepared for impact.

As soon as Max’s electric jab hit the shield I heard Avery scream, she had been completely caught off guard. The electricity scattered across the shield, which extended in a half-sphere kind of way. I instantly cursed Max, “What the hell were you thinking? You could’ve seriously hurt Avery!”

He walked up to us slowly, his toned and tanned arms exposed from his cut-off T shirt. His arms folded across his chest but I couldn’t contain the rage that had built up inside me within the last three seconds.

“Andy, I’m testing your reflexes.”

I realized he hadn’t done it to hurt anyone, but he had done it to teach me something. He wanted to see how I would react if I was caught off guard, and now we knew I could react quickly. I sighed, realizing he wasn’t in the wrong, “I’m sorry… I just, I was caught off guard and Avery was next to me-“