The Arrival - Jasmine

Start from the beginning

"Was there any need for that Sirius?" I asked him. He just looked at me moodily so I kept quite on the brother-front and instead asked if he'd be joining us for the carriage ride up to the castle. 

***

The feast was amazing as always and I am thoroughly stuffed. I must've just eaten my own body weight in food, but it's all so irresistible. I've just spotted Gem across at the Slytherin table, looking very cozy beside a certain Black brother, who was offering her a dish of roast potatoes. I can see the way he looks at her; it won't be long and they'll be together. At last. She's been waiting for him longer than I have Sirius I think. I don't know how she stands it, I hate waiting, even if it's just for a queue in Flourish and Blotts.

I have found myself beside Liron Vain whom I have known for a fair few years now. She's really pretty and this year, the favourite for winning Lead Soloist for the school choir with her gorgeous voice. No one was really interested in the choir for any reason other than her. She seemed a little bit dazed out so I left her to think; I always hate it when people interrupt me. And someone is nearly always interrupting me these days. 

Anyway, before I forget or someone interrupts me again, the Sorting Hat's song this year was brilliant - the best yet I think:

Welcome home, dear friends,

And welcome all you new;

You may be surprised I'm singing,

But wait til I'm put on you.

I'll delve inside your mind

To find what they can't see,

And tell you where you ought to go,

Where you ought to be.

For a Gryffindor I'll search,

The daring and the brave;

The loyal and the kindly

For Hufflepuff I'll save.

Slytherins must be cunning

And stealthy and too sly;

Whilst Ravenclaws need intelligence

A keen mind to understand 'why?'.

But if my friend, you worry

None of those you own,

There's always something hiding

Even if it's little known.

So worry yourself no longer,

There's a place for everyone

And as this song is ending,

It's time the sorting begun!

Pretty ingenious I thought, but then I have always been one for words and lyrics. Even when it's just Sirius mucking around singing songs really badly. I don't know why he pretends because he can sing really well. Ah well, it's cute either way.

I can hear him now actually, in the seat behind me at the Gryffindor table. He's surrounded as per usual with his friends - the Marauders, except Remus who's just down the table from me; Kristina who's only third year but they've been friends for years; and then all the other suddenly adoring girls. I mean they were popular before but this is ridiculous.

- Looking a little jealous there Jas - 

The note appeared on the page and instantly I recognised the spidery writing inked on the parchment of my diary. See, me and Gem did this really cool spell when we first got our diaries so that we could send messages to each other through them. Only when we want to send them of course, otherwise we could read everything either of us ever wrote, but it was a really useful trick. It had meant endless conversations over the summer from her in England to me in Australia. It was how I found out about Sirius moving out of his parents place and going to live with James. I still don't quite know what went on but basically, there was a huge falling out and now he isn't living at Grimmauld Place anymore.

I looked up at Gem to find her already staring back at me. We did this a lot: passing notes; we thought it more fun than just talking sometimes. She winked at me and I scowled back at my best friend under the cover of my brown waves. I quickly wrote back to her

- Am not. Why would I be jealous of those Trolls falling all over him? Even he has more class -

I sent it back with a quick tap of my wand on the page. So, maybe I was a little jealous, but come on, he's gorgeous and it's just so annoying watching and waiting everyday. But one day, who knows? It could happen. Weirder things certainly have, I'm sure.