Chapter 16: Welcome to the Dark Side

Sakura

I yawned as I stood watch beside Mayumi at the bridge.  Kakashi sent us here to guard the bridge builder since we are best at chakra control. 

Like..  It took me around five tries to get up there.  It took her two times!  Her chakra control is better than mine!  And she wasn't even at the academy!

I stared at Mayumi.  She had a blank stare as she stared at the ground.  Her blonde hair covered the sides of her face while her bangs covered her forehead.  Her eyes were a bright blue.  A bit brighter than Naruto's.  They could almost get mistaken for being siblings.

One thing I caught was that she looks like she's suffering...silently...

Not that I care!  I mean she took Sasuke away from me and made Sasuke upset!

Mayumi turned to face me and our eyes met.  I quickly turned away blushing embarrassingly.  I just got caught staring at her.

"It's awfully silent around here.  You two don't talk no more?"  Tazuna walked by and Mayumi brought her gaze back to the ground.  What was she thinking about?

"Hmm...  Anyways, where's the brat and the emo?"  Tazuna asked and my jaw dropped.

"Sasuke isn't emo!"  I defended my man and Tazuna laughed.

"He has it written all over him."  Tazuna slowly quieted down bringing his attention to Mayumi.

"Come on!  Chat with us!"

"I can't get distracted from the mission.  We would let our guard down and they'll kill you.  Do you understand that?"  Mayumi said coldly.  She wasn't the Mayumi I knew a day ago.

"Anyways, Sasuke and Naruto are training.  Since we are superior, Kakashi told us to protect you."  I gloated and Tazuna smirked.

•     •     •

We were walking in town with Tazuna.  It was completely different from the lead village.  People were suffering here.  There were many poor.

I softly felt a hand brush my butt and I immediately turned and kicked the man in the face.

"No..I was just-"

"PERVERT!"

Mayumi looked at me a bit surprised but continued walking as did Tazuna.  We saw some children asked for some food and we have them.  It really made me sad how this village was.

Tazuna explained how this village came to be in the state.  He also explained why he was building the bridge.

Sasuke, Naruto, and Mayumi... We have to help these people.

"THIEF! THIEF!  HE HAS MY LITTLE GIRL!"  A woman dropped to her knees beside us as a man blazed by.

I don't know what to do.  That woman is going to lose her child.

"I'll get her back."  Mayumi said.  Tazuna stared at Mayumi worriedly.

"No, May-"

Mayumi swung her head back and glared at me.  "Don't tell me no.  We are ninjas.  We must focus on the mission but I don't think saving people would be an issue either."  Her eyes had gold specks.  I gulped and nodded as she started to run.  That fierce look implemented in my head.