Chapter 15: Tension

Mayumi

I kneeled beside Kakashi's body.  He passed out after his battle with Zabuza.  Even though he got trapped, Sasuke and Naruto took matters into their own hands..and I froze...  I could've done so much but I froze.

Now you are realizing how pathetic you are?

Leave me alone.

You don't even realize how much of a big help I am.  I'm calling out your dumb pathetic deeds.

Kakashi was currently awake, barely..  He laid on a futon with a blanket over his body.

"Are you alright sensei?"  The woman Tazuna's daughter Tsunami asked Kakashi with her hands on her hips.

"Yeah...  I just can't move for a week or so.." Kakashi weakly spoke.

I stared at him intensively.

"You are staring at me like I'm dead."  Kakashi said looking at me and I shook my head.

"I could've done something, but I didn't."  I said admitting to me being pathetic.

See?  You've realized.

I felt a hand on my head and turned up to see Sasuke.  My eyes widened a bit and he looked at me confused.  He started to walk away, I guess that signified follow him.

Sasuke and I walked outside.  We stood on the porch and his back faced me.

"Zabuza is still alive you know that."

"Well needles don't look like they can kill an assassin so easily." I said and Sasuke stayed silent.

"What?"  I questioned and he kept his back towards me.

"What's in your head?"  He asked and I took a small step back.

"What could you possibly mean?" 

"You see that step back?  You are shocked that I've figured something out."

"It's nothing.  Why does it mattered?"  I asked awkwardly and Sasuke chuckled a bit and he turned to me.

"I've told myself that the only reason I've been living was to kill my brother who murdered my clan in cold blood.  I think I've found another reason."  He started and moved closer to me.

"Sasuke.." I said softly as our faces were inches apart.

"I didn't even understand how I've felt.  I'm so worried about you, your health has become my concern."  Sasuke said.

"What are you saying?"

"I think I like you.." Sasuke said bringing his lips to mine, but I quickly covered his mouth.

"What?"  Sasuke questioned.

"I don't know how I feel.."

"But when we first actually spoke-"

"I-I just don't know what I meant.  I think I misinterpreted you."  I said and Sasuke stared in disbelief.

"Forget what I just said!"  He said angrily going back into the house. 

I stared at the ground and fiddled with my fingers a bit.  I entered the house and Sakura wouldn't even look at me.  Sasuke went into another room.  Tazuna was drunk.  Kakashi was sleeping, and Naruto looked confused.

You are best at ruining relationships.  You should've just kissed him.

I understood Sasuke in a way, but wanting to make his life purpose to kill someone by choice, made me feel unsure.

•     •     •

"Ok, we will now start the training."  Kakashi said as we stood in the middle of a forest.  I looked at all the trees around.  Sakura and Sasuke wouldn't look nor talk to me.

Look at the bright side..  You wouldn't have to worry about them freaking out finding those dragon eyes.

I'm use to being alone as it is.  I don't mind if people don't want to be in my life.

You say that trying to be tough, but you've really felt like you had connected to these people.  I can feel your pain in the pit of your stomach.  You are so upset but you are hiding it.

I'm fine.

I've heard that lie a million times.

"MAYUMI!"  Kakashi yelled and I jumped a bit. "Good to have you back.. We'll be doing tree climbing." Kakashi said and I nodded.

"What kind of training is that?" Sakura asked disappointed.

"Well listen until the end." Kakashi sighed.

"This isn't normal tree climbing. You'll climb without using your hands." Kakashi said.

"...How?" Sakura asked.

"Well... Watch." Kakashi hobbled towards the tree with his crutch, placed his hands together, and climbed up.

"His chakra control is amazing." I stared at Kakashi who was at the top of he tree smiling.

"Very well Mayumi. This is to help with chakra control. Gather the chakra in the bottom of your feet and climb up a tree." Kakashi said.

"Wait a minute!! How is learning how to climb a tree going to make us stronger?!" Sakura yelled angrily and in confusion.

"Here-"

"Don't you get it? Too much or too little chakra control can kill you on the battlefield. You won't be able to use your jutsu properly. Especially if you are moving a lot." I told Sakura. She glared at me.

"I guess Mayumi stated it in the serious, short, and straight forward type of way.." Kakashi awkwardly smiled.

Kakashi threw Kunai in front of us. "Use those Kunais to mark how high you make it up the tree. Then use that mark as your goal and try to surpass it. You guys won't be good enough to just walk up the tree at first. So get some momentum and try running up the tree, got it?" Kakashi said. I picked up my kunai and stared at it. Not good enough for the first try, huh..? My father's taught me a lot about chakra control.

I chose a tree and stood in front of it.. I relaxed myself. I placed my hands together focusing the chakra on my feet.

I quickly lunged towards the tree and ran up. I marked the tree and jumped down.

Come on. I'm better than this.

Your daddy sure wouldn't be proud.

I was angry now. I cleared my head of all distractions and focused on my chakra and stamina. I walked towards the tree and walked up.

I smirked as I stood on the tree with the perfect chakra control.

Next time I must do it on my first try.

"It looks like the girls have the best chakra control." Kakashi said Sakura and I stared at each other. She glared at me and I slightly smirked.

Tension was in the air.