Chapter 12: Darkness

Mayumi

The life as a Genin was quiet boring.  Missions were more like chores.

We were walking dogs, catching cats, and more stuff.  But I can't really complain.  I haven't had this much freedom in so long.  I kinda like it..

Right now we were turning in a mission report.  Naruto wouldn't stop complaining to the Hokage.  I couldn't really focus on anything while I sensed something wrong.

"Mayumi.."

"Mayumi!"  I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I turned to face Sasuke. He looked at me confused. Sakura stood behind him and looked at me with a concerned look.

"Oh..yeah..?"  I questioned still a bit lost.

"What's going on?  You aren't focused."  Sasuke lifted his eyebrow and I awkwardly laughed.

"I haven't had so much freedom ever.  I'm just cautious.."

"Well you shouldn't be.  We are safe here."  The Hokage gave me a small smile and I blushed with a small nod.

"They are all a bunch of brats.  Especially the shortest one with the super stupid-looking face.  Are you really a Ninja?"  A man who I suppose was drunk slurred looking at Naruto.

"Haha!  Who's the shortest one with the stupid face..". Naruto looked around but we all stared at him.

"I'LL KILL YOU!!!"  Naruto screamed realizing he was referring to him.

"What's the point in killing the person we're suppose to protect?  Idiot!"  Kakashi held Naruto back.  I stared at the man and I couldn't help furrow my eyebrows.  My eyes were burning. 

"Hey!  Stop looking at me like that brat!"  He said and my eyes widened.  I quickly diverted my eyes.

"What's wrong Mayumi?"  The Hokage asked.

"Are you sure this is a safe mission for us?"  I asked and Kakashi looked at me in curiosity.

"Protecting him must mean he's in danger. You sense that too Mayumi, huh.."

"Yeah.." I said to Kakashi and he looked at me strangely as well as everyone else.

"What are you saying yeah to, weirdo?" The drunk man asked me and I just turned away from everyone. I think I read Kakashi's mind..

*

"You are slowly learning the different powers of the dragon eyes. You are getting stronger." Ren said as I packed my bag. I was preparing for the mission to protect the man. Something wasn't right about this mission.

"Mayumi are you okay?" Ren placed his hand on my forehead checking if I was sick. His eyes slowly widened and I felt power in my eyes.

"What's wrong?" Ren asked as staring me straight in my eyes. "You activated the eyes, May. Your head his burning. What's wrong?" Ren asked and I closed my eyes clutching onto my head.

"That man-- I sense danger.." I said and he looked at me worried.

"Lets go talk to your Sensei about this. If those eyes sense trouble, something must not be right." He said and I slowly nodded.

He squatted down to my height, "You are worrying too much. Everything will be fine. Let's turn your eyes back and calm down Mayumi. It's okay to be scared, but your Sensei and the Hokage will take care of it." Ren said. Why would they believe that I sense danger? Especially with me having these so called demon eyes..

Ren and I left the clan's compound as he led me to the gates of the village. Everyone was there including the drunken man. Even Naruto...

"Hey! Who's that guy???" Naruto questioned pointing at Ren.

"He's my...cousin.." I said and Naruto stared up at Ren who held my hand.

"Oi! Kakashi!" Ren called out to Kakashi releasing my hand.

"Oh boy.." Kakashi sighed as he made his way towards Ren. I think Kakashi was a bit older than Ren or they were the same age. Something like that. Kakashi and Ren started to talk off to the side.

"Wow! Are we really wasting time?! I need to get to the bridge now!" The man yelled and I looked at him confused.

"He's a bridge builder. We are escorting him back to his bridge so he can finish it." Sasuke said and I nodded finally understanding.

"I'm the SUPER EXPERT bridge builder. The name's Tazuna." The old man said as he bent down to my height. I jumped back a bit due to him being so close.

"I-I'm Mayumi Suzuki."  I placed my hands behind my back and took deep breaths trying to calm down.

The bridge builder's eyes widened hearing my name, "Suzuki?  That sounds familiar."  He said as his eyes shook a bit.  I looked at Sasuke and then we turned back to the man staring at him strangely.

"May."  Ren called me over and I walked towards him and Kakashi.

"I've tried talking to the Hokage about it.  He wouldn't change his mind."  Kakashi said and I nodded.  I was going to leave the village on my first serious mission.

My vision slowly got fuzzy. Sasuke was in my view. He looked at me worriedly and rushed towards me as I fell over. I believe I was in Sasuke's arms.

"Mayumi!" I heard Sakura's voice.

"I-I can't see..." I cried. I closed my eyes as darkness overcame my vision.

"Kakashi Sensei! What's wrong with her?!" I heard Naruto's worried voice.

"Tch.." I heard Sasuke say frustratedly.

Mayumi.. You'll do what I say or Ren dies.

I slowly opened my eyes. As the deep raspy voice interrupted my thoughts. My vision was normal. I forced myself up.

"I'm okay! False alarm!" I laughed awkwardly. Ren grabbed my hand.

"Maybe you should-"

"My father would be disappointed if I miss out on this mission."

"But you are sick Mayumi! Something's wrong!" Sakura complained.

"It'd make my father find me weak." I pulled my arm from Ren's grip. "I'll be fine."

Who's voice was in my head..?