Chapter 8: Survival Training

Mayumi

Kakashi's words haunted my head.  If I lose, I'm scared to find out what my father would do to me.

No..  I need to think positively, I won't fail.  I've trained for my whole life and I get better and better each day.

I walked through the compound. Eyes on me like usual. Maybe Ren can-

I stopped moving and stared at the ground. Ren still can't see me... After tomorrow he'll be able to.

"..It feels lonely without Ren..." I whispered to myself. I slowly walked towards the main household. I have to inform my father on everything.

Someone stood in front of me. I looked up to see Minako.  "Father's in a meeting right now.  How was your first day as a Genin?"

"It was okay."

"I heard you got Kakashi."  Minako said and I nodded.  She started to laugh.  She started to walk away.

"Everyone that Kakashi gets is sent back to the academy!  I'm sure father would love to hear that!"  Minako smirked.

*

It was morning. I made my way to the place Kakashi wanted us to meet. It seemed that I was alone. I quickly realized I wasn't the only one there though.

I turned to a tree. I felt a presence behind it.
"Come out."

The onyx-haired boy came out from behind it. He stared at me with a serious look. I stared at him back. We stood in silence for a bit.

"You aren't just a pretty face, are you?" He asked and I felt my cheeks heat up. He just called me pretty. I turned away.

"What is it to you?" I asked not looking at him. He was making me feel strange.

"How do you know about me? My past?" He asked and his voice was closer.

"I'm the same.  I've been through bad stuff.  I'm still going through it."  I turned to smile.  He looked at me normally but I could see pity and sadness in his eyes.  The wind blew, blowing how hair.

"It feels kinda calming knowing someone understands how I feel." I said and he blushed. My eyes widened. We understand each other.

...It's just like Ren said...

Is Sasuke the one I'm suppose to hold close?

Just then, Sakura and Naruto made their way to us.

We all stood there except Naruto who sat down.  We were there until the sun risen.  Sakura eventually sat down.  Leaving Sasuke and I standing up.

The sun was now in the middle of the sky.

"Morning everyone.  Ready for your first day?"  Kakashi said arriving.

"HEY YOU'RE LATE!"  Sakura and Naruto yelled.
"Well a black cat crossed my path so I had to take the long way."  Kakashi stated.  Sakura and Naruto growled.

"Good Morning Sensei."  I said with a small smile.  I was exhausted and upset he came so late but I have to respect him.  He's gonna help me advance as a Shinobi.  He's not Ren or father.  He's someone different.

"Well Good Morning Mayumi."  Kakashi smiled back.

"Mayumi!  Don't pamper him!"  Naruto and Sakura yelled and I sweat dropped.

"Well, let's get started."  Kakashi walked to a stump and placed a timer on it.

"Here we go.  It's set for noon."  He said and placed his bag on the ground.

"Your assignment is very simple."  Kakashi pulled out three bells and held them together.

"You just have to take these bells from me.  That's all there is to it."  He makes it sound simple.  There must be some sort of catch.

"If you can't get them by noon, you go without lunch.  You'll be tied to those posts."  Kakashi said pointing at four posts and Naruto stared at him confused.

"You'll watch as I eat my lunch in front of you."  He said.  He told us not to eat breakfast. I guess that's why. Some days I eat breakfast, some days I don't. It isn't so bad. I feel pretty normal.

"Wait a minute, there are four of us. How come there's only three bells?" Sakura questioned.

"Well that way at least one of you will end up tied to a post and ultimately disqualified for failing to complete the mission." Kakashi smiled under his mask.

"That one goes back to the academy." Kakashi said shaking the bells.

"Then again, all four of you can flunk out too. You can use any weapons including shuriken. If you are not prepared to kill me, you won't be able to take the bells." Kakashi said seriously.

"Those weapons are too dangerous Sensei." Sakura said in defence.

Naruto laughed a bit, "Especially since you couldn't even dodge that eraser."

"Class clowns are the weakest links. You can safely ignore them. Lowest scores. Losers." Kakashi said harshly to Naruto. Naruto slowly got frustrated.

"When I say start, you can begin." Kakashi said. Naruto was angry. What Kakashi said recited in his head, over and over again.

Naruto picked up a kunai and went at Kakashi. My eyes widened at the speed of Kakashi. He managed to grab the Kunai and get behind Naruto. This left Sakura and Sasuke shocked as well.

"Don't be in such a hurry. I didn't say start yet." Kakashi said casually holding a knife to the back of Naruto's head.

I stepped back a bit with Sakura and Sasuke. I was nervous. I've gone at it with my father a lot but I doubt my father would use his real power on me. This is the real deal. At least I know Kakashi is fast and of course not to use an obvious attack.

"But you came at me with the full intention of destroying me so how can I say this... I'm actually starting to like you guys." Kakashi said. He sure was creepy in a sense.

"Get ready." I stood in a proper stance. I have to find a hiding spot and at the same time, I need to be able to watch him.

"And... start!" I immediately jumped away.