Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Ebony stood at the mirror fiddling with the tight neck of her blazer.  Kayla was leaving one of the toilet stalls.

"You don't have to button it all the way up. No one else seems to." stated Kayla as she started to wash her hands.

Ebony looked in the mirror and released the top three buttons leaving the bottom five still buttoned. “This is much more comfortable,” Ebony smoothed out her uniform. "I'm a little nervous and just can't seem to calm down," mumbled Ebony to the other girl.

Kayla smiled a toothy grin, "So am I."  She looked in the mirror and saw bright red seeds in her teeth, "Oh goddess!" She reached inside another hidden pocket and pulled out a chi sol and a small tube of peppermint paste then started scrubbing her teeth.

"You seem prepared,” giggled Ebony before picking back up her handheld and heading for the exit.  "Hurry up or you’re gonna be late for orientation."

Kayla finished quickly and made a dash for the table where she sat. Once she noticed the table occupants were gone, she  ran in her black leather ankle boots toward the dining room exit. There were 36 first year students standing between the double staircase, 8 second years and 5 teachers/advisers.  The groups would be divided into 6 first year students, 2 second year students and 1 teacher.

A lady with beautiful onyx skin, deep blue hair, and a willowy frame with with full B/C cup breasts under a pink bodice walked down a few stairs at exactly 12:00 and immediately attracted the attention of the male students . "My name is Madame Averill Hodgkin,” she said in a voice that sounded like tinkling bells. “Students call me Ms. H or Madame H.” While she continued down the stairs Kayla took the time to fully appreciate the rest of her outfit. Leggings under a sheer purple, ankle-length skirt showed off shiny pink leather boots. “I am the head of fine arts department, I have worked at the Academy for 18 years.  If you need any assistance my doors are always open." with that introduction Ms. A stepped down from the stairs.

A bald lady took to the stairs next, she wore a black jumpsuit with a long red blazer.  In an authoritative voice she began to speak, "I am Jasmine Dixmoor, the director of the training department. It is my job to make sure your powers are harnessed and used correctly.   I've been with the school for 6 years, prior to this I was one of the seven peacekeepers of Helix.  I will not take it easy on your training. You will leave here better than when you came."

Kayla thought Jasmine Dixmoor seemed more like a soldier than a peace keeper but didn't let the thought show on her face.

A small bumblebee like man walked up the stairs next to introduce himself.  He wore a yellow and black blazer with a bright yellow jumpsuit and knee high boots that were polished so well you could see your reflection in them.  As he spoke you could hear a slight buzzing in his accent, "I am Portly Buzzman, the head of the first year’s math and science department.  You may call me Buzzman but may not address me as anything else.  I've been with the Academy for more years than you care to know about and I'll be here long after you leave.   If you have questions or concerns seek out my assistant Larry Raymer." With that introduction Buzzman walked down the stairs to another man wearing yellow. He handed him the handheld device he was carrying and walked out of the dorms.

Looking up the man blushed and nodded letting everyone know he was Larry Raymer and that he'd be taking over for Mr. Buzzman.

Lastly a man that hid in the shadows walked up the stairs.   He definitely looked like one of the creatures that went bump in the night.   He wore mist which swirled around him like an impenetrable fog.   His golden skin was at odds with what he had on but his smoky gray eyes and black hair fit him perfectly.  "I am Anthony Lawson, a first year teacher; I teach in the humanities department.  I graduated from Huinsaek Dong-gul two years ago and briefly worked as an ambassador to Nah'Bye and Mizu.  I am related to the Lawson family but I'm only a fourth cousin, three times removed and I doubt they know who I am."