Chapter 9 ~ Sunday Morning

Start from the beginning

  "Why are you feeding me?"

  "Because I can't eat right now, so I thought I'd...feed you?" I tell her, not very confidently. I groan. "Fine."

  "That's what I thought." she sits down again. "Now what is it?"

  "Do you think Grandma and Grandpa are going to forgive me for Friday night?" I ask her.

  She nods. "Of course! Why wouldn't they? Dinner may have gone badly, but the rest of the night went pretty smoothly. We stayed over, ate some breakfast, what could they be mad about?"

  "Yeah, you're right." I agree. "What about Mom?"

  She smiles awkwardly. "They'll forgive you." 

  "Yeah.." 

  * * *

  "Okay, you've got your fries, 5 doughnuts, some coffee, 4 smoothies, 2 burgers, some tacos, chips, a few danishes, and a salad." Mom says as she gets into the jeep. 

  "Who's the salad for?" I ask her as I get into the jeep too. 

  "Nobody. But if he sees that you have one, he'll like you even more." she piles all of the bags into the back seat. 

  "Mom!" I moan. "He doesn't like me. We're just friends." 

  "Yeah, for now." she grins. 

  I stare at her. "Isn't that what you say?"

  "What?"

  "That you're just friends."

  "With who?" I glare at her. "Oh..no. Callie, we're,"

  "Just friends." we say at the same time. 

  "Exactly." I say. 

  She rolls her eyes but starts the car. We start driving to Asher's house. 

  "Y'know he likes you, right?" I tell her. 

  "Who?"

  I pause. "Luke."

  She sighs. 

  "Everyone can see it! I know. He asks about you all the time." I look out the window.

  "When does he ask about me?"

  "When you're not at the diner. Like on Thursday, when I was at the diner alone. He cares about you." I tell her. "More than you know."

  She sighs again. "I know." 

  "Okay."

  "I don't want to ruin what we already have." she tells me sadly. 

  I look at her. "So you do like him?"

  She looks at me. "I don't like to admit it, but, yeah. I guess I do." For a brief moment I can see sadness in her eyes. She turns her attention back to the road. 

  I wish she wasn't so afraid to try with Luke. He seems like the perfect guy for her. 

  * * *

  "Call me when you want me to come and get you, okay?" Mom tells me as she parks the jeep in front of the house. "I'll be in Hartford so, if you decide you want to bail early, you're gonna have to sit in his bathroom or hide in a tree until I come."

  I smile, but look at my hands. "Okay."

  "Hon?" she pats my leg. "Mommy's gotta go."

  "What if I like him?" I exclaim. "What if he likes me? What do I do?"