The Ice Rink

Katherine takes a small step on the cold ice. It chills her feet. The one place in Dramanio that's able to be cold. Katherine was told that this place used to be a part of Catora, but then got wrapped around by Dramanio's heated lands. Despite the heat around it, it remains to stay cold. Katherine's eyes glance up and she sees Ciara stand in the middle talking with Mirana. Katherine walks up to Ciara luckily wearing shoes that don't allow her to slip on the ice. Otherwise she'd be face first on the ice.

Katherine gets a little bit closer and begins to notice the shine of Ciara's hair. Her heart suddenly feels as if she'd been stabbed. She didn't know that Ciara had silver hair. She could've sworn it was white before. Katherine then remembers what her mother told her about stained hair. Her hair wasn't stained was it?

Fear begins to fill Katherine. If Ciara's hair truly is silver, then Katherine has no chance against her. Katherine continues to get closer to Ciara until Ciara notices her. Ciara turns and Katherine's heart beats wildly, "What took you so long?"

"Well, I would've rode Reina but we had some circumstances," Katherine replies.

"What? Was the cold too much for her?" Ciara asks her.

Katherine pauses, "She wasn't in Catora long enough for anything to happen to her," Katherine explains, "But, that's not what I came for. I - "

Katherine is cut off from Ciara throwing a large cloud of snow in her direction.

"I'm sure you've noticed that my hair is styled a bit differently," Ciara gives Katherine a devious stare, "and I'm sure you've heard of the number one way of getting rid of a curse?"

"Breaking it?" Katherine starts to shake with fear.

"No, you fool!" Ciara snaps, "Getting rid of the caster!"

Katherine gasps as she dodges Ciara's snow and begins to run on the slippery ice.

"Come on!" Ciara calls out, "Are you going to fight me?"

Ciara continues to throw ice and snow at Katherine while Katherine dodges it effectively. It isn't until Ciara aims at Katherine's feet that the battle stops. Katherine screams out as ice forces her foot to stick to the ice. She falls over and holds her hands out to catch herself. Pain shoots up her arms from the force. Katherine quickly turns over and holds her hands out and shuts her eyes tight.

"Now you know how it feels to be weak," Ciara walks up to her, "It doesn't feel so good, does it?"

Katherine opens her eyes, "Can you just stop for just a moment? I didn't come here to fight."

"I did," Ciara tells her, "You've given me years of suffering. You've killed my father. You almost killed me with your dragon. You're lucky I don't curse you or your dragon."

Katherine puts her hand down and looks into Ciara's angry eyes, "The curse killed your father?"

Ciara pauses, "He burned to death because of you."

Katherine looks down at the ice and breaks into tears.

"I didn't mean for it to go that far!" Katherine shouts out, "I didn't want it to! I don't even want it to be here anymore!"

"Then why not just take it off?" Ciara asks her, "Why not just end it now?"

"You don't think I've tried?" Tears flow down Katherine's face, "I spent hours trying to remove it. I've spent entire days trying to. And now I'm paying the full price for it."

Katherine holds up her hand and tries to make a fireball again. It only appears for a brief moment before disappearing again, "I'm struggling to keep a simple fireball now. I'm almost powerless."

Ciara frowns, "I didn't know that."

Katherine takes a look at her foot, "I don't even think I can melt that even if I tried."

"If you knew you couldn't fight, then why did you come?" Ciara asks her.

Katherine wipes off her wet cheeks, "It's Reina. She's going crazy and we've lost control of her. She'll break free any minute now. Then she's going to try and kill you. You or Emma."

"And you're telling me this for what reason?" Ciara asks her, "Can't you just use your whistle again?"

Katherine shakes her head, "It's not working. I'm afraid there's only one way to stop it."

"What are you asking?" Ciara's voice sounds skeptical.

Katherine pauses, "She can't kill anyone if she's dead. And an easy way to kill a dragon is with cold."

Ciara takes a moment to think, "You want me to kill your dragon? After cursing me because Emma killed your other one?"

Katherine nods, "I don't want anyone else to die. I don't want anyone else to suffer."

Mirana takes a cautious step forward, "I'd hate to interrupt, but I don't think she's joking."

"You're falling for this act?" Ciara snaps at Mirana.

"I'm not acting!" Katherine shouts, "It's true! If Reina doesn't die then you do."

"And you're willing to let me kill her?" Ciara asks Katherine.

Katherine pauses, "I would rather have that dragon die over anyone else. Your father already died because of me and you've suffered enough. Another death is the last thing you need."

Ciara turns toward Mirana, "Should I do it?"

"It's either you or me, you know that," Mirana explains, "I told you I'd give myself for you two."

Ciara pauses, "Let's go to Emma. That way we'll be in the same spot."

Ciara and Mirana begin to walk towards the pegasus's and Katherine attempts to pull her foot out of Ciara's ice. Ciara looks over her shoulder as she watches her struggle. She puts out her and and makes the ice come to her freeing Katherine's foot.

She gestures Katherine to come to her, "Come on, you're gonna want to say goodbye."

Katherine looks up with a look and nods, "Yeah. I will."

*-.-*-.-*-.-*

Ciara and Katherine land down followed by Mirana and immediately head towards Emma's stable.

As they run they can hear people screaming. Ciara turns to Katherine, "How are you guys able to get passed the barrier?"

"It's hard, but not impossible," Katherine explains, "When Reina did it I ended up falling off of her from it."

The three turn the corner and see Reina crawling quickly towards Emma's fenced in area made next to the remains of her stable. Emma notices and attempts to run. She jumps the fence, but Reina is quickly on her tail. Katherine points at Reina, "Quick! Before she gets Emma!"

Ciara points her hand at Reina just as Reina begins to suck in a large breath. Katherine watches with watery eyes as a spear of ice comes out of Ciara's hand. Reina lets out a breath as the ice spear hits her in her heart area. Fire engulfs Emma and Reina hesitates. Katherine watches as Reina falls to the ground and Ciara looks at the charred remains of Emma.

"Emma!" Ciara screams out.

Katherine begins to cry, "I tried to save her! I'm so sorry!'

"It's my fault," Ciara tells her, "If only I let you speak instead of fighting you. We might have been here in time."

Katherine wraps her hands around her arms, "Don't blame yourself. If it weren't for this curse none of this would happen."

"Are you cold?" Ciara gestures to Katherine.

Katherine lets out icy breath, "It is getting cold."

And for the first time in years, Ciara sees a small snowflake fall in front of her face.