Seasons Shifting

Rouge walks up the large number of steps until she get to the door. She takes a breath before knocking on the door gently, "Katherine?"

She opens the door to see Katherine looking at herself in the mirror. She's wearing an elegant red dress and her hair is braided and is resting on her left shoulder. Katherine turns and looks at her mother, "Hello, mother."

"You're beautiful," Rouge comments, "Are you ready to take my place?"

Katherine turns back to the mirror and pauses, "I have to be."

"If only I could see a man next to you," Rouge suggests, "That would fulfill my dreams."

Katherine replies, "Who would want to stand next to me?"

Rouge falls silent. Katherine gives a sigh, "If I cursed a person to the point that they would die, then what person in their right mind would stand next to me?"

Rouge is still silent, "Why don't we go over what you're going to do?"

"I look all proper, get my crown, say a couple of words, and hope none of the citizens wants to kill me?" Katherine says in a bored tone, "I think I have it all covered."

Rouge rolls her eyes, "Why must you be this way?"

"It's true, isn't it?" Katherine asks, "The citizens don't appreciate me?"

"I didn't think you knew about it," Rouge mutters, "But with the overpopulation and the colder temperature, I don't blame them."

Katherine turns towards her mother, "Colder temperature?"

"All of the warmth you brought to Catora is messing up the balance," Rouge explains, "So, as Catora gets warmer, Dramanio gets colder. You haven't noticed?"

Katherine shakes her head, "No, I haven't. The curse was only meant for Ciara and her pet. Not everyone else!"

"Well, everyone is suffering for it," Rouge hesitates, "Why not you stop this petty thing? Why not just remove the curse?"

"The bear killed Virano. You know the punishment," Katherine says quickly.

"Yes, but that was almost 10 years ago," Rouge begs, "Can't you let it go?"

"I can't," Katherine says.

"Why?" Rouge shouts in anger, "Why must you let this continue? Your people are suffering for it!"

Katherine shakes her head, "I'm sorry, I can't!"

"Why?" Rouge repeats.

"Even if I wanted to remove the curse, I just can't mother!" Katherine snaps at her mother and immediately afterward the anger disappears, "I can't."

Rouge stares back at her daughter with a sympathetic look, "You don't mean..."

Katherine moves past her mother, "It's getting late. I can't be late to my own coronation."

*-.-*-.-*-.-*

Ciara and Mirana both at her in the mirror.

"You're so beautiful!" Mirana comments, "Perfect for a queen to be."

Ciara gives a deep sigh, "What if she attacks again?"

Mirana puts her hand on Ciara's shoulder, "That's why I'm here."

Mirana gestures out the door, "Ready to go?"

Ciara shakes her head, "Honestly, I'm not."

"I'll be there," Mirana repeats, "Nothing is going to happen to you."