Reina

About a week later, Katherine has been locked in her tower. After the curse, she was asleep for about three days. Then, as soon as she woke, she's stayed up in her room crying on occasion. Rouge is beginning to worry about her.
To help relieve her worries and stress, Rouge begins to head for the garden, before someone stops her.
"My queen," a voice calls after her. She turns.
A man and a boy stands before her, "Yes?"
"We were just wondering if the princess was alright," the man starts, "She's been spending an awful long time in her tower."
Rouge nods, "She's lost a lot of energy and her dragon died recently. She'll be alright. Leave her be."
The man turns to the boy, "Looks like you'll have to wait."
"We can't take care of it, papa!" the boy cries, "It'll die if it lives with us."
Rouge halts, "What will die?"
"I found a miniature dragon in the garden," the boy explains, "I thought the princess would like her. She won't grow extremely big."
Rouge hesitates, "Why not you go give he dragon to her? Something tells me that she'd like it a lot."

*-.-*-.-*-.-*

Katherine stares out towards her window. She wraps her blanket around her. She still feels the cold feeling around her and there's an empty hole in her chest. Another tear falls down her cheek. All she can think about are the sounds of Virano's bones snapping and the light in his eyes quickly leaving him.
Suddenly, there's a knocking on her door. She hears it open.
"I told you to go away," Katherine says quietly.
"But, I have a gift for you," a voice Katherine wasn't expecting replied. She turns to see a small servant boy with a basket in his hand.
Katherine stands up, "What is it?"
"I found her in the garden," the boy hands out the basket, "And I thought you'd like her best."
Katherine slowly advances towards the boy and takes the basket from him. She places it on her best. She takes hold of the peach blanket inside and jumps back as something under the blanket moves.
The servant boy reassures her, "Don't worry. She doesn't bite. She doesn't even have teeth yet."
Katherine moves closer to the blanket and lifts it off of the figure. Underneath it is revealed to be a small baby dragon. Katherine looks at her in awe. She takes her hand and strokes the small dragon's red scales.
"You can name her if you'd like," the servant boy responds, "She doesn't really have one."
Katherine holds out her hand and the small dragon climbs into her hand and sits perfectly in the palm of her hand, "She's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. So how about Reina?"
The servant boy nods, "That's a perfect name, miss."
Katherine takes her eyes off Reina and looks at the servant, "Thank you for your gift. You may go now."
The servant boy bows and exits the room. Reina's small head looks back up at Katherine. She smiles, "I don't think I've ever seen a dragon this small before. Not even Virano was this small."
Reina makes a small squeak. Katherine places Reina down on her table, "Now you stay on this table, okay? I don't want to lose you."
Reina stands up and crawls around on Katherine's desk. She nears the edge and backs away quickly.
"Good girl," Katherine comments.
Reina looks up at Katherine and joy begins to fill her again. She jumps around on the desk causing Katherine to smile.