29- Conflict Comes in Packs

Kai Demoney June 1, 2015 11:32 am Park

"I called you here because I need to get somethings off of my chest before I officially leave.." Kelsey starts.

A few days ago, Kelsey called my phone and asked to meet up. Even though I'm going against my better judgment, I still agreed. The last time I had confrontation with a romantic interest of Jay's, things didn't go too well. I almost ended up in jail for the rest of my life.

Now, even though I could care less about anything she has to say. I still give her the benefit of the doubt and allow her to express herself. Sometimes that's the best way to move past something.

"Starting out, especially after Jay announced his feelings for you, I wanted to come to your house and slap the shit out of you." Well, straight to the point huh. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not too keen on violence but, Im sure she knows that I wouldn't have let that just happen. Hence, my past. "I thought this home-wrecker just can't help herself whenever is comes to Jay. I thought that maybe you had ruined things between him and Danny on purpose. However, after a few days of fighting conflicts within my head, I realized that this is just how Jay is. It's how he has always been." My eyebrow unintentionally lifts up in wonder. Now, I'm a little interested in what she has to say. What does she mean?

"I've known Jay all my life and one of his biggest issues has always been commitment. He grew up with a father who couldn't be faithful and he learned from that. Throughout all of our adolescent years, Jay had run through so many girls and not because he's intentionally being a man-whore but, because commitment was something he never knew." She pauses for a second and looks else where.

"We all thought, with Danny maybe he would change. But now I see that was a negative." Her eyes roam over to me and with a small sigh she shakes her head. "I realized that you could actually be really good for him... You're carrying the one girl he will always be faithful too. The one girl he will never have a problem committing to."

She half chuckles to herself and looks me directly in the eyes. "I have to thank you for that and for helping me dodge a major bullet. I would have involved myself and my son in some bullshit that neither of us needs to be in."

At this point in the conversation, I'm not sure if I should say you're welcome. Hell, I'm not sure if I should say anything at all. What can I really say to all of this?

"Kai, take care of your baby girl. Protect her and help her find the way. Don't let your mistake determine her future. I will admit that I was one of the many that based what I heard from others on who I thought you were. Even though I still don't know you, I see that you aren't a bad person. You just did something bad and people hate you for that. In so many words I can say you stole Jay from me but, I even I know that I was just comfort for him and if he was mine he couldn't have been stolen from me. The only girl who will truly hold his heart is inside of you. I hope you can live with that."

Even if that is true, why wouldn't I be able to live with that? Why would I need to be jealous of my own child?

After a long pause, I realize she's done talking and it's now time for me to speak. I still don't know what to say but, I have to say something because the silence is very deafening right now.

"Well thank you for letting me know all of this..." I pause for a second as I pounder on what to say next. "And I honestly did not want things to turn out this way. All I wanted was for Jay to be happy and if that was with you then I was all for it. I really hope things turn out better for you and your son." After that I give a weak smile to show my sincerity. I'm glad that someone realizes that I'm not a bad person. Sometimes the hope others have in you can make you have hope in yourself.

"And I hope the same for you and your little girl."

***
Malano Cambridge June 1, 2015 12:00 pm Home

The thing I'm most worried about is whether or not they could actually accept me. It scares the hell out of me that I could get there and they turn me away. The only family I have ever had was the three leading ladies in my life; Kai, Kayden and Mama Nai. Kai's father played a part as well.

I'm the spawn of a man who killed the woman he was supposed to love and protect. My mom's family thinks I'm going to end up just like him and the thought that I ever will makes me feel uneasy. I would never hurt Kai but, I'm sure my father thought the same thing. He was mentally ill.

"I'm happy you're back to your normal self." Jasmine says with a wide smile.

Beautiful, she is. She has an unspeakable beauty about her but, that is not enough to hold my heart. I'm keeping her around because she's asking to be kept and I think I'm sort of comfortable with it now. Jasmine isn't a bad person but, I can also see that she doesn't really have my best interest at heart. I'm not sure why she wants to stick around but, I don't question her about it because it keeps me distracted.

After leaving work Jasmine came over to the apartment and decided to help me search for a place to move. I haven't had the chance to tell her about my trip but, I don't really care to. She'll want to go and I'm going to have to figure out a way to tell her no.

"So, I was thinking about taking a trip." She states while sitting back against my headboard. I look over at her from my phone.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." She gives a confident smile and looks over at me.

"Where to?" I ask. I'm really uninterested but, she is my girl so I'll try to put forth effort to care.

"To visit your family with you next week." My eyebrows furrow as I realize what she just said to me. With a frown I place my phone in my lap and give her my complete attention. How the fuck does she know about my trip.

"Whatchu mean? How you know about my trip?"

She gives a sigh and shrugs. "Well... Not that I'm checking up on you or anything. But when I asked to use your laptop. I found a purchase of three plane tickets and an email or two from your family. I was going to wait until you brought it up to me but you didn't and it's almost close to time to leave. I have to find someone to take my shifts at work but I'll manage -"

"Woah, woah. Slow down ma. Who said you were coming with me?" A frown soon consumes her face.

"Well you brought three tickets? Wait was one of those not for me?" She's obviously confused. Of course they weren't for her. Three tickets were brought for me and my two. All of which does not include her...

My silence seems to make her realize that I have nothing to say because I don't. She's basically already answering the question herself. "Wait... Those tickets didn't include me? Did they?"

I clear my throat and shrug. "This is my first time seeing my family in a long time and we haven't been together long. I don't think it's smart to bring you along just yet." With an attitude she folds her arms across her chest.

"Excuse me!? But it's okay for Kai though right?"

I sigh. "It's more complicated than that."

"That's straight bullshit and you know it."

"Seriously Jas... What the fuck you expect from a nigga? Kai been here before you and she gone be here after you. I need her."

She half chuckles. "And you don't need me!? I'm your girlfriend!"

"I never gave you that title. When I say you're my girl it simply means I'm just fucking with you for the moment."

(A/N: Niggas ain't shit and they legit have this mindset about relationships in this generation.)

"What the hell does that even mean!?" With a shrug I stand up to my feet.

"Take it however you want to."