Chapter 39

CARTER

I brushed my teeth in the guest bathroom and put back on Caira's dad's clothes before joining her in the kitchen.

"Why did you put a shirt on?" She whined before seizing my face for a sexy kiss.

"I could ask you the same question" I replied against her lips. I was just about ready to undress her but she stopped me.

"Stop. I'm sore. And I'm going to burn my pancakes."

"Pancakes?"

"It's the perfect day for pancakes. And Joslyn is coming over."

"Why?"

"She comes over every Sunday for Sunday pancakes." She said as if I should know that. "She doesn't live far."

"All I need is like 15 minutes."

"She's already-" the screen on Caira's wall interrupted Caira.

"Speak of the devil," I mumbled as Caira opened the door to the elevator.

Jos was shocked to see me. "What's up Big Papa!"

"Wassup lil Mama!"

"I missed you after prom!" She punctuated her remark with a punch that I deflected.

She punched me again and then so did I, and soon we were just wrestling.

"You're getting better at this," I said after she got out of my headlock.

She squared up. "You've gotten worse."

"Stop!" Caira complained, after we knocked over a stool, but once Jos and I got in the zone, there was no stopping us. We could slap box like this for hours.

I was just about to body slam Joslyn when she screamed. "My nail! Carter stop!" She cradled a long ass fake nail in her hand. "You are so lucky it's not broken." She said before kicking me in the shin.

I crumpled into a couch. These dance majors were delicate, but their skinny asses could do damage.

"Are you done? Can we eat now?"

"Yes please!" Joslyn squealed. I limped to the stool next to Jos at the kitchen Island.

"Did you go to after-prom?" Caira asked Joslyn.

"No. Daddy came to see me. Fuck ASPA honestly. Everyone is killing me."

"Who's daddy? Malcolm?" I asked, smirking. Joslyn didn't say anything. My face dropped "Oh, nah." I shook my head. Malcom was this guy up in Brownsville that Jos had been talking to. Not only was he hood as hell but he was older, and he knew Will.

"What?" Joslyn asked indignantly, acting like she didn't know what was up.

I held up a finger at her, so I could finish swallowing my mouthful of pancakes. "Joslyn. You think you're bad or whatever. But hood niggas are hood niggas. And you not ready for one. Or that lifestyle. Like you're so far from that. I don't even be chilling with those dudes like that. And you know he fucks with Will."

"How does Will know Malcolm?" Caira asked. I remembered that she really didn't know much about Will. "Uh..." I searched for the right words. "Malcolm works for Will's dad." Joslyn made a face that seemed to ask why I was withholding information. I just didn't want Caira judging Will or my Dad's side of the family.

"But Joslyn," Caira asked sweetly, "what about Will?"

"Caira that wasn't-" she sighed, clearly annoyed with Caira's altruism. "I wanted to fuck him. I couldn't really catch feelings ok? We're too close. It was just a good fuck. I needed-"