Chapter 33

CAIRA
2 WEEKS LATER
PEP RALLY

Three more weeks. Three more weeks. The countdown was a mantra I've been meditating on for almost two months now.

When my mother flew out to NY dramatically to use the police thing as a reason for me not to be signed, 7 more weeks, I said to myself.

When they announced Will was facing complications in the hospital, and his release date was to be determined, six more weeks.

When my dad told me I would only be going to Coachella for two days this year, five more weeks, I thought to myself, which calmed me down.

And now, at the last pep rally this year, right before Carter executed a plan fit for an engagement to ask Monica to prom, I whispered through my clenched jaw, "Three more weeks until graduation, Caira."

Monica and the other cheerleaders were prepping for the sports teams to run through the entrance, when the performance began.

The cheerleaders prompted everyone to stand. The crowd was going wild, but I just didn't have the energy to show school spirit. The baseball team went first, announcing that they won 2nd place in the league. Then the football team, the tennis team, and so on. Finally, the basketball team came running out. The starting 5 - minus Will - came out, and I was pretty sure my eardrums busted. I know I was being petty, but I didn't even stand.

Their coach went on about them being state champions and all I could do was try not to think about that night.

Then Carter grabbed the mic from Coach. "Hey y'all." Everyone cheered before he could even get to the next sentence. I rolled my eyes. "So I know that my behavior got out of hand in during the championship game, and I want to apologize to my Coach and my team for that." Everyone clapped. "But today we're here to celebrate. And my team and I wanted to do something special."

The music to Chris Brown's With You started in the speakers and everyone looked confused. Joseline and Tia both looked at me with sympathetic eyes. Carter and I had a video of us doing a dance this same song when we were younger.

The team started singing along and doing the same choreographed dance. My stomach was turning the entire time. Either Carter was really trying to be grimy, or this proposal was supposed to be for me. I couldn't decide which was worse.

Finally Carter went to the front pulled a rose from his jacket, and the team held up a sign that said PROM MONICA? Monica proceeded to be extra and fake cried while she climbed down the bleachers to hug Carter. He pushed her away slightly so he could reach into his jacket. He pulled out a black box, large enough that we all knew it wasn't a ring. He got down on one knee and fastened an anklet on her. The one on my ankle seemed to burn my skin.

My ears were ringing. This was a new level of livid.