Chapter 17

(Authors' Note: Tia in the media for this chapter)

A FEW WEEKS LATER

7:36PM

CAIRA

I rolled my eyes at Tia. We were in her cramped brownstone in Bedstuy, and we had just gone through quite a few dresses.

"Are you sure?" She asked, eyeing her dress skeptically.

"Yes Tia," I breathe, exasperated, throwing myself onto her Disney princess bedspread. "It's the dress you bought for tonight. Just wear it." It was a short champagne shift dress with a neckline that dipped dangerously low, and it was refreshing to see softspoken Tia in something so...bold! I wanded her hair so that it was big and curly, and she paired the dress with nude heels and some gold jewelry.

"I know you are not my the bed with your outside clothes."

"My clothes are not dirty!"

"We took the train today Caira."

"You know what? You're right." I hop up, checking my phone. "Evan is here."

Tia sighs dramatically. "Ok Tia. This it."

"You look amazing Tia." I push her out her room. "Let's get a move on." Tia's mom took photos of her hysterically until Tia finally put her foot down and left the house.

"Excited to see Sean?" I ask after we are all packed into Evan's car. She didn't answer me, but checked herself out in the rear view mirror.

"Excited to see Carter?" She fires back. I guffaw loudly in response, making her laugh too.

We were headed to the ASPA art show, a silent auction the school holds every year in a fancy gallery in Chelsea. Twenty five art majors are selected to showcase their work, and a silent bidding is held. Tia was one of the artists, and one of the only seven juniors. I have seen some the work that she submitted and it's amazing. I mean sometimes the messages can't be put into words, but it is really phenomenal, and I guess that's the point; if it was easy to explain she wouldn't have to create it.

When we arrive at the gallery, most of the people I know from school are there. Everyone came out to support the art majors. I felt a bit underdressed in a cream sweater, tight black skinny jeans, and black boots next to Tia, but this was a night for the artists. Immediately, Tia is swept into the crowd by her artist duties, and I am left alone in the gallery. I begin looking around, when I notice my tall ass dad's head bobbing above all the white people, looking lost. Quickly I weave through the gallery, and tap him.

"I didn't know you were coming!"

"What time are you leaving?"

I looked at him, alarmed. "I just got here!"

"Let's get dinner. The crackers and cheese ain't holdin it down."

"Did you bid on anything?" He put his finger up and answered a call, forcing me to wait. I gestured that I was leaving before drifting away from him and looking around again. My eyes zeroed in on Carter looking at me as I bid on a photograph for the house. He looked away guiltily, and I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling. It was weird to see Carter acting like a guilty schoolgirl, and even though I was still angry, secretly my resolve was beginning to disintegrate. Quickly I turned back around, pretending to be extremely focused on forging my Dad's signature.

"Hey! umm..." He clears his throat. "Caira?" I didn't have to turn around to know it was him.

"Yeah?" I finish signing before turning to face him.