Chapter 24

(Authors' Note: Will in the media.)

CAIRA

BUCKHEAD, GEORGIA

7:46PM

This rink was the most famous one in Atlanta. The neon lights and the smell of burnt fast food was strangely inviting. I wasn't old enough to go before I left, so I was happy to be there. My mom had been letting Carter use the Audi, but every so often Carter would let me drive if I was convincing enough. The rides would be filled with my minor spaz attacks and unexpected lurches forward, but I managed to get us places alive. Carter and I switched again in order to park.

The parking lot outside the rink was a maze of people of all ages. It was crowded and exciting, and I was convinced that every cool teen in ATL was here. I ignored the guys trying to holler at us on the way in, but I felt Carter tensing up beside me, and pulling me closer to him. My instincts told me to tell him that I could handle myself, but instead a smile crept onto my face.

Before lacing up Kiana introduced me to Stuart, the guy she was apparently "dating." This kid looked like Erckle had come to life. His glasses were huge, not in a stylish way, he needed a shape-up real bad, I'm not sure what century his pants were from, and when he spoke, "Hey Kiana," I damn near died.

"Hey Stuart," the pity in her smile made me sad. Kiana told me about some boy her parents were making her date, and if I didn't feel bad before, I definitely do now.

"You guys skatin' alone? I could take my break now and hang out for a little bit," Stewart was working at the shoe rental desk. He looked so hopeful and I knew Kiana was gonna cave so I saved her, "No we're good. We're skating with two friends, but thanks." I saw his smile drop and I knew Kiana was just dating this poor boy not to break his heart. We walked back towards the guys and handed them their skates.

"That's your man Ki?" Will asks with a smirk. Kiana gave him a glare so hard that Will actually shut up for once. Carter and I shared a surprised glance. No one ever shuts Will up that quickly.

    After we finish lacing up Kiana says,"Cee-Cee let's go to the bathroom. We'll meet y'all by the rink in a minute." She drags me through the rink to a "bathroom" that I'm sure is breaking several health code violations. Once we're inside she turns to me, "Cee-Cee I-" she starts, but I cut her off.

"Kiana," I widened my eyes. "No. Fucking. Way. That is critical."

"I know Cee-Cee, but my parents really started getting on my back. I need to be a proper southern lady and date someone who is 'properly suited to raise a family'," she put her father's words in air quotes. "No Cee-Cee for real!" She says in response to the skeptical look I shoot her. "They're saying that they don't see the point in paying for college tuition for someone who isn't taking their life serious!"

    "And they think Stuart is you taking your life seriously? Stuart is a joke," I tell her.

    "Caira, you have no idea. and I don't know how to let him down easy. And he spits too much when we kiss! Ugh," Kiana looked really distraught.

    "Let's just go have fun and you can worry about Stuart later," I said as I pulled her out of the bathroom.

    Carter and Will were standing near the entrance talking when they saw us. Carter immediately grabbed my hand and rolled us onto the rink, leaving Will and Kiana alone.

WILL

    "You gonna help a nigga out or what?" I asked Kiana. She is so sexy, I just want an opportunity to get her alone, plus, I have no idea how to roller skate.