Chapter 29

A/N: We're back (for good now) and very sorry for the wait. Both of us were getting wrapped up in college stuff!! (Brook got into an Ivy!!!) And Lynn (me) is still waiting for April first acceptances ughhh... But any way this is juicy af (haaan!) and we suggest u re-read a few chapters to get back into the story. We hope everything's good with y'all!
Love, Brook and Lynn 💓💓
(P. S. Omar in the media)
CAIRA

BEGINNING OF THE GAME

"Number 14, Will Smith!" Omar's deep voice radiated through the speakers. He was still just as fine as the last time he came to scout Carter. He announced all the players and wished them a good game. ASPA was happy to get him to speak as the latest Miami Heat recruit. My seats were courtside, and I was surprised when Omar plopped down in a seat in the row right behind me.

"You not a cheerleader anymore?" I felt his breath on my neck and jumped.

"You scared me!"

"Sorry ma. You good?" he asked with a smirk.

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes and turned to face the front trying to hide the smile on my face.

"You here to see your man?" He was so close that if I turned around our lips would be touching.

If I planned on apologizing to Carter this probably didn't look good. "I'm here to support my school."

He chuckled. "Oh aight. I came to support you." I laughed and pushed his head away from me, making him defensive. "I'm deadass! I thought you would be dancing again."

"I'll believe that if you can remember my name."

"Ciara. Easy." He was cocky, and charming, and the fact that he remembered my name made me open up a bit. Why was I being rude again? I thought to myself as the horn sounded for tip-off.

CARTER

END OF SECOND QUARTER

Up by eleven points and tired as hell, we were working hard to keep our lead. This team is giving us a run for our money. Will was right about their offense because I don't think I've played this much defense all season. Daquan, our power forward, was starting to slack. He was tired as hell because these two quarters have been crazy, and I hate to say it but coach needs to pull him out. The substitution whistle sounds and we all pause. "35 for 9." Our coach says.

My brow furrows as I wonder why coach didn't sub in another power forward. He jogs towards us. "Carter you take over for Daquan and Malik play point guard. Break." Malik take over point guard? This is bullshit. Coach only pulled this because I'm the only one can play power forward and point guard, but why the fuck would he put Malik in my spot?

We go into third quarter with a six point lead. This nigga Malik was calling dumb ass plays that were costing us. Every time out, I would call him on his shit. We had to follow his plays because he was point guard, but at the rate he was going, our odds at winning the championship were declining. Coach was acting like everything was peachy, but the scoreboard wasn't looking right.

The next time the ball was inbounded, I started signaling the next play. Malik looked confused as hell but had no choice but to cooperate, seeing as everyone had set up for the play. What the fuck? He mouthed before passing me the ball as hard as he could. I dribbled, passed to Yousef, avoided a screen, and was open for a lay up when I got the ball back. That's how it's done. I locked eyes with Malik and he looked tight as fuck, but I wasn't here to be his friend. I was here to win.

"Smith! Watch your spot!" Coach sent me a warning.

In the next offensive play I received the ball, faked the defender in front of me out, and made a three point fade away shot. The crowd went wild, but when I glanced over at Caira, I realized she had missed the whole thing. Omar was in her ear, making her giggle. I knew I wasn't supposed to be caring what Caira did now, but in that moment I realized that in my head, I was claiming her anyway. Even though she wasn't mine, she was still mine.