Chapter 20

(Authors' Note: Will in the media)

SPRING BREAK PLANE RIDE TO ATL

1:26PM

CAIRA

The amount of time it took to get to our seats was ridiculous. I could tell Will was waiting for me to say something about the fact that we were riding coach, and it took everything in me not to. He kept making slick comments about how I was too hollywood for this. I'm used to the space and accommodations in first class, and honestly, I didn't know we were flying economy. I hadn't flew coach in a while. I slid into the window seat of our row, and expected Carter to slide in next.

"24C...right here," Will said as he slid in next to me. Carter shot him a look. "What?"

I was a little tight too, but I giggled at Carter's frustration that Will was sitting in between us. Seeing their relationship made me miss Kiana. I couldn't wait to see her when we landed.

While we waited for the plane to take off Carter kept refreshing his email. "C'mon man Duke will email you soon. Just relax and check when we get to Atlanta." Will says.

"No. My acceptance should be coming in any minute now." Carter is furiously refreshing his phone.

"Confident I see." Will is peeking over Carter's shoulder.

I've been laughing at their entire exchange. "It's not funny Caira. This is my future. My dad is not the head of A&R at Duke. I need this." Every bone in my body wanted to shut him down. There was no fucking A&R at Duke. And my Dad did not work for Atlantic records. Carter puts his head back on the seat, closes his eyes, and sighs. I let Carter rock because he seems so stressed, but sometimes the way he snaps at me can really hurt.

"Ooh! You gonna let him say that to you?" Will says, popping open a bag of Doritos, probably the most fragrant chips in the world, and the worst kind of snack for a plane.

"I know right?" I remark, wanting Carter to hear me.

Ping! Carter's phone goes off and Will and I look at him. Carter just stares at it.

"Nigga this is it!"

"Shhh!" I attempt to quiet him down; Will is half-yelling curses on a crowded plane. He continues on in frantic whispers.

"Check your email before we take off dumbass! You've been on that phone all day! Now it's here and now you want to be pussy."

"Will leave him." I attempt to calm Will down, because Carter looks like he's about to have a heart attack with the phone in his hand.

Will just shakes his head. A flight attendant walks by.

"Could you turn that off, Sir?"

"Umm no Miss. We are having a situa-" I nudge Will in his side, hard.

"Sorry," Carter says to the attendant, shutting off his phone.

"Now you're going to wait until we land." Will sucks his teeth. "Bitchass..." He mumbles under his breath.

Carter leans back again, and ignores the both of us for essentially the entire flight. While Will and I decide to watch Dope, his antisocial ass decided to listen to music. I prayed that he got into Duke, because I really didn't want this to fuck up our trip.

Will, who is superstitious about bathrooms on planes, takes off with his backpack and books it to a bathroom in the airport as soon as we land. Carter waits around for me because my carry on is overhead. I try not to stare too hard at his muscles moving when he gets it down my bag. "I got it."

"Thanks," I whisper, stepping in front of him. He follows me quietly out of the plane and down the passenger walkway.

"Caira could you check it for me?" He asks sweetly in the terminal when we are waiting for Will. Moments like these were the reason I couldn't stay mad at Carter for too long.

"Sure." Nervously I take the phone from him and type in his passcode, finding his mail app as quickly as I can. I thought about playing with his emotions but the look on his face told me that he wouldn't find it funny.

"You got it! You got in!"

"I got in?"

"You got in!"

"Yes! I got in!" He yells, throwing his fists up in the middle of the airport.

I look around nervously. "Ok Carter. Don't scare everyone now." I notice his eyes misting up a bit. "Are you...? No way."

"Man shut up."

I giggle, reaching up to give him a hug. "I'm so proud of you Carter. You deserve this homie."

"I think I deserve a kiss too." I lean back and look at his lips, seriously thinking about it.

In the end, it was Will who blocked his own friend. "Wassup love birds! Wooh! I blew up that bathroom." He looks down at my carry on. "Caira you need to watch your bag. That shit is like my rent for two months."

"Yo Will! Guess what!"

"Miss me with that gay shit Smith." I shook my head. Sometimes Will's homophobia didn't even make sense.

Carter rolls his eyes. "I'm made it on the team Will!"

"That's what I'm talking about!" They begin doing their annoying ass ten minute handshake. "We are so lit next year yo! NBA bound! Free pussay! Dorm roo- Oh Caira don't look like that. Carter is saving himself for you." He winks at Carter as if to say No you ain't!

"I fucking hate you Will," I tell him, which only makes him laugh harder.

Will and I go to claim our bags while Carter hangs back to call his parents.