Chapter 3

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 4

7:30 am

CAIRA 16 YEARS OLD

Quietly, I watch New York through the window's of Daddy's Escalade. I feel gross, and I didn't even eat breakfast this morning. Perfect.

"Oh wait can we stop here!" A crowded all glass juice bar caught my eye.

"Caira I don't know..." says our new driver Evan, " I don't want you getting to school late."

"It'll be quick!" I say, grabbing my phone and my wallet out of my black longchamp. I rush out of the car and quickly slam the door.

A cute black dude smiles at me from behind the counter. "What would you like?" I look up at the funky colored menu and remind myself of the summer body I worked so hard for.

I furrow my eyebrows "I'll take a 'Green Awakening'?"

"I gotchu right now," I smile at his New York vernacular and immediate comfort with me. I am still deciding if I like New Yorkers. I picked up my drink after waiting a few minutes, cringing at my misspelled name. Absentmindedly I wondered if teachers from my new school would be able to pronounce it.

I hopped back into the escalade ."Thank you Evan" I say trying to give him my cutest smile. His face softens. "If your dad finds out you were late don't blame me" he shakes his head. I roll my eyes and look out the window, still amazed at the amount of people everywhere. They poured out of train stations and walked in herds down the streets, disregarding street lights and honking horns. No one seemed to care that the sun was barely up.