Chapter 16

Please vote and comment (it would be cool if you could just comment where you are from) - Much love, Brook and Lynn

CARTER

SAME NIGHT

When the game was over, Coach pulled me aside. "Hey Smith. I don't know what was up with you 3rd quarter, but you can't let shit like that happen again. Malik has been waiting on your spot, don't let up now." He gave me a slap on the back, a stern look, and then walked away. On my way down the tunnel to the locker room I see Caira jogging after me.

"Hey Carter!"

"Hi." She was off put by my short response.

"Umm...ok. I came over here to say that was a good game! Congrats!" She says, but she can see that I'm pissed. I didn't need Caira to tell me I did a good job, when I got taken out third quarter. She could go talk to pretty boy, who was still watching her intently. Now that I got a better look at him I did recognize him. Omar Wicks. He was starting at Duke this year, but everyone says he's going to be a one-and-done. My Dad was a huge college basketball fan. I had no choice but to know the entire Duke roster. What he was doing here though, I have no idea. I nodded, and turned to walk away, not really in the mood to chat. She grabs my arm to stop me and sends me a confused look before wiping my sweat off her hand.

"Also, I thought you might want to know that some guys from Duke were here to see you. I'm sure you impressed them. It was a coach and a player, and they were sitting next to me." Great. Not only was my game off because of her, but there was a scout here? Malik was pissing me off now. He had Caira and now he probably has my spot at Duke too. My mood was shot.

"Aight. I'm gonna head to to the locker rooms. I'll see you."

"Carter! What's up with you?" She asks sincerely, lowering her voice and taking a step towards me. I hesitate before taking a step back, not wanting to be charmed by her proximity.

"Nah, don't worry about me. Worry about your man Omar, or Malik, or whoever - Damn Caira, you get around." I say, feigning surprise. "I can't even keep up anymore." It was a low blow, and I watched as the hurt flashed on her face for a moment, before she quickly stiffened and nodded as if she had received some sort of confirmation.

"Got it. I'll see you around." As I watched her walk away, part of me wanted badly to reach for her, but I kept telling myself not to, and besides, it was too late. She had already busied herself with congratulating Malik. Fuming, I stalked back to the locker room. I had just fucked up my relationship with Caira for essentially no reason.

I thought I was the only one in the locker room when I heard someone call "Carter?" I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Monica," I nearly groaned.

"You could act happy to see me." There was an awkward pause as she waited for me to say something.

"You aren't supposed to be back here."

"Do you want to be together?" I doubled back at her question. It came out of nowhere. "Wow, it's taking you way too long to answer that."

"Monica I just had a really bad game and I don't want to deal with this right now. Can I call you tomorrow?"

"Don't bother. I'm sure you're too busy with Caira."

"Caira and I aren't talking right now." I mumble.

"She's finally listening to me, huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"I told her to back off a few months ago." My eyes nearly fell out of my head. "I guess she finally did."

"What do you mean you told her to back off," I ask, mocking Monica.

"I mean she was all over you and I asked her to chill.

"Monica..."

"You are my boyfriend Carter and she was being disrespectful. Are you seriously getting tight at me?" I couldn't put my finger on exactly why Monica telling Caira to "back off" was so aggravating, but it was.

"Not any more."

"Not any more what?"

"I'm not your boyfriend anymore." I say coldly. I get my stuff my together, now ready to be out of the locker room.

"Carter what? Because I talked to Caira?"

"Monica we can barely hold a conversation. Do you even want to be together?" I capitalize on her hesitation. "Exactly." I sigh, walking out. "I'll see you around." Weirdly, that felt like the best thing I had done all evening. I left the room feeling liberated, and when I met my mom, who was talking to Coach back in the gym, I was able to procure a smile.

It took all of my strength not to hit up Caira with an apology. I had learned the hard way that Caira forgave people in her own time or not at all, and smothering her with my own desperation would not help my case.