Chapter 36: The Battle in the City

Start from the beginning

The lively voice of the announcer rung, the large holo-display above the arena displayed the top ten bets placed on the favorite characters to get the spot on the limited ten.

10) Namur
09) Angraecum
08) Bertrand
07) Melowdy
06) Ninety
05) Killdeer
04) Bladey
03) Zabrze
02) Debra
01) Heller

When the ones in the Southern Arena saw the name on the first rank, and even Ren and the always energetic announcer... as soon as they all saw the name on the first rank, they all gasped.

"He's here?!" Ren felt alarmed.

Then, on his ear, the Director spoke in a flustered tone: "All his votes came from the 3rd Arena! As soon as the announcement was made, he revealed himself from the audience and 89% of the arena patrons all voted for him to win one of the slots!"

Even the infamously hot-tempered Namur and his Guild Master named Zabrze was only in the 10th and 3rd ranks respectively.

The rest of the names in the rankings were all of the Guild Masters in the city except perhaps from Bladey and Debra who both came from the Hydra Society branch of Battle City.

But Heller... he was a respected individual in Warjillis.

His was a name who dominated all the arenas. Even Zabrze who accomplished himself as a powerful Dark Wizard will have to think twice on a one on one match against him.

Why indeed? It is because Heller is not just any other ordinary Wizard... he was an Archmage...

One of the very, very... very few.

Regarding the bets and winning the gambles, there are actually four options for them to bet on:

1) Who are the ten to join the Acolytes

2) Who will be the one with the largest kill count

3) What Guild or group has the largest members in the ten Acolytes

4) Who will be the top one

Given these options, when Heller's name appeared, a resounding sensation like that of a unified gasping of air could be felt from almost everyone in the Southern Arena.

When the number for these bet categories was shown on the global sphere, everyone thought that the betting system was malfunctioning.

That was the first thought but the second thought is actually denial.

If Heller joined the battle royal, then the results of this event will become too predictable.

Heller had dominated the ten arenas for an occasional while now. But every time he appeared by surprise, he always win. The reason why he can sneak in on every arena match is because each and every time he joined the matches, he always used a different name along with a different spell set.

It's like he was a different person each time!

One time, there was even a showdown between Heller and Zabrze. At that time, Heller only used a set of magic spells that centered on a single element and even with that, he still won against Zabrze... albeit the fight was an exciting and flashy long duel.

"Heller is joining?!"

"Goodness me, this event had just attracted a real and authentic demon..."

"Hmp. Don't forget that Donar is also fighting."

"Should we bet on him too?"

"No. There's no point betting on the instigator. He's fighting there only because he wanted to hasten the determining of the winners."