Chapter 98

"Katie, wait—think about this for a minute." Zack stares me in the eyes, "This is exactly what the Demon wants. He wants you to attack him, he wants you to be emotionally unbalanced—that's how they win. That's how he got to Aunt Kelly. You have to be smart about this."

It's all I can do to even hear half of the words coming out of my brother's mouth, but somehow, somewhere deep inside me, I know he's right. I'm practically seeing everything in bright red, I'm so enraged. And if I go to Uncle John now, I would only be putting myself and everyone around me in danger. I have to get ahold of my emotions first—I have to stop making bad decisions because of them. But, right now, all I want to do is rip that asshole from limb to limb.

Taking in a deep breath, I look over to Dominic and he nods, as if he already knows what I'm thinking and I glance back to Zack. The look of concern on both of their faces somehow causes me to snap out of my head and think as I walk away, trying to catch my breath--and that's when I know what I need to do first. I would never forgive myself if I didn't take the time to do this now, "C—can I have..." my eyes switch from Dominic to Zack, "a second with her? ...Alone?"

Without a word, Dominic and Zack both turn and quietly walk out of the room. The instant silence after the door gently closes is deafening, making having to say goodbye to Aunt Kelly even more heart wrenching.

The sheet is still pulled back to her wrists as I take a few steps closer, gently touching her light, brown hair. A single tear escapes down my cheek as I whisper, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you. Had I known..." I stop to wipe away another tear, "I, I could have done something differently, I could have stopped you," I take in a quick breath, "And even though I didn't live with you long, you were always so supportive of me, and I will never forget that." I swallow and cough, "But, I promise you one thing, I will get the son-of-a-bitch who did this to you," I whisper, chocking back more tears, "I—I hope you know how much I loved you and will always love you, Aunt Kelly," saying her name immediately makes it more real and suddenly, I have to throw up and almost trip on the way to the nearest trash can. A few minutes later, I have to force myself to stop heaving as I wipe my mouth on the sleeve of the bathrobe I just realized I still have on.

Managing to straighten up, I walk back over to Aunt Kelly's body and slowly lean down, gently kissing her cheek as the tip of my fingers take the edges of the sheet and pull it back over her pretty face. I know this will be the last time I'll ever see her. The last time I can actually touch her and without thinking, I scream and quickly yank back the stupid white sheet, pulling her into my arms.

"I'll never forget you," I wrap my arms around her, rocking us back and forth as warm rivers of tears flow down my neck. "Forgive me," I squeeze as tightly as I can because those were the kinds of hugs she liked. 

And now, they're the only ones I'll ever give...