Chapter 71

I try touching Aunt Kelly again, hoping she'll let me console her—anything to help take away her pain. She slowly raises her head as tears stream down her cheeks, "Why, Kate?" she whispers, her voice sounding defeated. "Why does everyone have to die around you?" she says, piercing me in the gut with her new green eyes.

Her words instantly rip at my heart, as if each letter is chiseling out a chunk at a time. I can't take it. I can't take seeing her this way. She's right because every person I've been close to has died, one way or the other. I can't allow this to happen, not again—I have to make this right or at least try.

"Please don't cry." I tell her, swallowing the lump forming in my throat. "I know what to do."

Aunt Kelly turns to look up at me, confusion blanking her face and I smile, stroking her new auburn hair as I kiss her forehead. "Be right back."

Quickly rising to my feet, I head for the double doors but Dominic doesn't move. He remains standing in front of them and I watch his brows push together, like he's warning me to stay away.

"Don't do it, Kate," he says in such a low voice it's almost a whisper.

"Dominic, you need to step aside." I demand, staring at him with as much intensity as I can muster.

"It is not right," he pauses. "And you know it."

I glance back at Aunt Kelly, wondering if I'm making a huge mistake, as she wipes away fresh tears with the sleeve of her shirt—and that's when it hits me. I have no choice.

"Please don't make this difficult." I plead with him but he doesn't budge.

Frustration begins filtering over my initial reluctance and I immediately realize I'm going to have to use a different tactic—something instinctual, something that will appeal to the fighter in him.

Keeping my eyes glued to his, I clear my throat and straighten my shoulders, "Seraph Warrior, I command that you to let me pass!"

Instantly, his face changes to a look of resentment or maybe he's simply pissed but I'm pretty sure he can't deny me.

Not his Queen.

Dominic pulls his eyes away from mine and bows his head slightly, like it's killing him to obey me as he slowly opens the door. I quickly walk past him, trying not to think about what just happened and I see the doctors and nurses still attempting to bring life back to Uncle John's lifeless body.

Walking up to the doctor who looks like he's in charge, I tap his shoulder just before he stops counting to push on Uncle John's chest. His eyes go wide when he glances over to me, like he's confused who I am or how I got in here. His forehead is full of sweat as it glistens in the florescent light above and I gently place my hand on Uncle John's cool arm. 

"It's okay, you did your best." I tell him. "Can you please give us a minute?"

Zack and Dominic are standing next to each other just inside the doors, watching everything when the doctor looks over at them. Zack nods as if giving his "okay" for them to leave and one by one the team stops what they're doing and they quickly file out of the room.

I look down at Uncle John's body, gently touching his cool face before glancing over at my brother and husband to be—their disapproving expressions making what I'm about to do even harder.

I won't let him die. Aunt Kelly simply can't go through another death. Not when I can do something about it.

Slowly, I lean down over his face and place my lips on his. Nothing happens at first and I open my eyes, hoping it's not too late when suddenly, his body jerks like he's been shocked. Startled, I pull back but somehow the connection has been made and I'm immediately sucked back down to him as he takes in a deep breath. I'm suffocating and struggling to get free when a sharp sting sears down my throat sending crippling pain throughout my body. Fear traps my thoughts and I flail to get free, trying to tear myself away when someone grabs me from behind, finally breaking Uncle John's hold.

I collapse, breathing heavily like I've just sprinted a mile but then smell the familiar musk and rosemary of Dominic's skin as he whisks me away from the table. I look up and Zack is standing over Uncle John, helping him sit up as the look of confusion drapes over his face.

"W—what, where am I?" his voice is raspy as he darts his no-longer-black eyes at me.

Before anyone can answer him, Aunt Kelly comes flying in the room.

"John!" she screams, like they haven't see one another in years as she wraps her arms around him with full force, nearly knocking him back down.

"You're alive!" her voice full of relief and joy as she kisses his lips, his face, his cheek.

"You're alive..."