Chapter 50

His intense gaze practically drips with passion, making it clear that he means every word. I have to take a quick breath to keep from getting dizzy because Zack was right. I actually can feel his thoughts and the growing pit in my stomach reminds me of it.

"Get some rest." he says, letting go of my hands.

Is he serious? I've been sleeping for hours.

"You're leaving?" I ask as calmly as I can, trying to mask how badly I want him to stay.

A small smile spreads across his lips. "I will not be far." he says in a low, hushed voice, nodding his head once before turning away.

My eyes follow his large, athletic frame as he walks toward the gigantic, wooden door, closing it behind him, and my lids instantly slam shut. I miss him already—like I have an insatiable thirst, no, hunger for his touch—I want to be near him without interruption. 

Jesus, get ahold of yourself, Kate.

An unexpected vibration from underneath me startles me out of my thoughts and I automatically reach for my back pocket.

No way...is that my phone?

I nearly drop it trying to push the round button when I finally get the screen to light up. Six missed calls and thirteen texts. Most of them from Aunt Kelly but a few are from Skylar.

Without thinking I hit the recall button and before it starts ringing, Aunt Kelly is already asking questions.

"Kate, where are you—are you okay?!" the urgency in her voice is palpable.

"Yeah, I'm okay." And I—I'm not sure." my eyes wonder around the room again. "I'm in some kind of fancy hotel that looks more like a freaking castle." I tell her the truth.

"Castle?" she says under her breath as her voice starts to quiver.

"Wait, what's going on? Are you crying?" I ask, hoping I'm wrong.

She doesn't answer right away but I can hear her attempt to choke back tears when she finally says, "It's—it's John. He left sometime during the night and I haven't seen him since."

"How? He has second degree burns on his arm and leg and he could barely breath without coughing." I say, stating the obvious as I try to work it out in my head.

"I know." Aunt Kelly whispers in a more serious tone. "Earlier, when I took the bandages off to dress the wounds they were..." she pauses for a second. "Almost healed."

"That's impossible." I say, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Something isn't right and she knows it too.

"Kate, come back. I need you." she says, the desperation in her voice is like a knife to my gut. I have to go back. I have to help her find him.

"Okay." I practically jump out of the bed but have to steady myself against the bed post and catch my balance. Dominic was right, I needed to do that way slower. 

Shit.

Just the thought of him makes me desperate to turn around...but I can't. Aunt Kelly needs me and has always been there when I needed her. I have no choice.

"Be there as soon as I can." I answer, trying to shake off the bad feeling I'm already starting to get.