Chapter 82

I'm staring into Dominic's eyes as they shift from brownish red to a deeper combination of the two and I don't know what to do or even say. He's clearly still livid with me and I'm not sure if it's because I pretty much told the Council not to let him go or not to fight. Either way, it doesn't matter now because I need to fix this.

"I'm sorry!" I blurt out, reaching up to touch his arm. "I just want you to stay with me...and to know you're safe." I say, my voice falling into a whisper.

He's still breathing like he just sprinted at least a mile but something I said must have worked because he's no longer trying to get away from me. He's actually listening.

"I am a Warrior first," he says, "Everything else in my life is second." his voice much more calm than before.

But his words practically punch me in the gut and I have to take in a quick breath. What am I doing, falling in love with a man who can't and from what it sounds like, won't put me first?

"It is not that simple," he says, as if he's hearing my exact thoughts. "The Realm, the Seraph Council, fighting Demons to keep everyone safe, especially you—all of that has to come first."

Gulp, when you put it that way...

Dominic pulls back and takes me by the shoulders. "Since I was a young boy, I knew I was a Warrior--a fighter for good," his eyes drift off as if reliving a memory. "And once I transitioned, defending the Realm is all I have ever known," he looks back down to me, "Until you." his two last words deep and hushed.

"So, you've always just trained to be a Warrior? I clear my throat, "You've never dated or you know, had a relationship with a woman?" I look away, embarrassed that I allowed the words to come out of my mouth before I stopped them.

"My attention has been averted a time or two," he smiles as if he's suddenly enjoying teasing me. "Although, nothing more. You must understand, Seraph Warriors mate for life and I knew none of them were right for me, so I never let things go too far."

"None of them?" I interrupt, instantly wishing I would just keep my big mouth shut.

"Kate, I have been here for seventy-six years..."

Oh my God, that's right...

"I--I think I understand, now." I say, cutting him off as I wrap my arm around his waist. I don't want to hear any more about his past girlfriends. Except...

"What about Victoria?" I ask, hoping he'll tell me what I want to know. "Did you have a relationship with her as well?"

He takes in a deep breath and shakes his head, "She was different." he admits. "I never thought of her in that way--I do not know why, but I am grateful for it now. I knew early on that I could trust her, even though I was aware that she wanted more from me. And I was careful not to be cruel about it, she was and still is extremely sensitive. But from the beginning, Victoria has always been like a sister to me."

"And that's why you ran after her?" I ask, knowing it's a rhetorical question.

Dominic nods his head and closes his eyes for a second, "She means a lot to me and I never want to hurt her, " he admits, gazing into my eyes, "I love her, Kate," he leans down and gently kisses my lips, "But nothing like I love you."

Wow...

If mere words can actually make someone fall deeper in love, then Dominic just succeeded. The unveiled honesty behind his eyes alone is enough to make me melt into a puddle, right here, right now. And it's as if the not knowing why part, at least this time, made my understanding even sweeter.

Without hesitation, I pull him into a hug and instantly feel his arms wrap around my shoulders. Tears roll down my cheeks and I'm not sure I could be more grateful for him than I am at this very moment. This is where I'm supposed to be, he is my destiny and in his arms it finally feels like I'm already home...