Chapter 39

My eyes automatically dart to hers and it's as if I'm meeting my Aunt Kelly for the first time. Is it possible she knew something about Zack's death? Or even our parents? And if so, how could she even fathom keeping it a secret? She knew I was desperately trying to dig my way out of a deep, horrific, black abyss. Simply labeling it, depression, doesn't even cover it—not even close. So, if she had any information that might have helped me—even a little, why the hell wouldn't she have told me? Thoughts of how my life could have been way better for months, hell, even years flood my mind and suddenly, I'm so angry, I barely hear the words I scream out at her.

"You knew?!" I practically charge at her, stopping only inches away. "You knew?!" I scream again, because they're the only words I can think to get out. She flinches and closes her eyes and that's when I know for sure. She knew all along.

"Wait." she puts her hand up, as if doing so will calm me down. "I didn't know, Kate!" she shouts as tears well up in her eyes. "Not for sure, anyway." she whispers.

For a second, I want to hug her because that's what I always do. I never want to see her upset and I do everything I can to keep her from worrying about me. But now, I'm starting to doubt everything I know about her. Clearly, I've been the fool all along about Zack, my parents—even her and Uncle John. It's no secret they've had money problems for years and they were all too happy to take me in when Zack died. I had a huge inheritance. And that's when it hits me—my reality is starting to become crystal clear and the anger is back with a vengeance.

"Not for sure?!" I shout sarcastically as I watch tears stream down her cheeks but I don't give a shit—I'm beyond pissed.

"Calm down, Kate! It's not that simple!" Aunt Kelly says, touching my arm but I yank it back and walk away. I barely want to be in the same room with her.

"Will you please sit down?" she asks in a worried voice. The same voice I've been trying so hard to prevent before today. It pulls at my heartstrings and I'm pretty sure she knew it would. 

"Come on, Kate, give me that much."

Cheap shot, but I decide to do what she asks. For now.

Nodding my head, I follow her to the table and take a seat. Suddenly, I'm fully aware that my body is trembling—I'm not sure if it's because I'm still furious with her or frightened that my world is falling apart. Lacing my fingers together to keep from shaking, I wait for her to start. But first, she pulls a couple of tissues out of the complementary box sitting in the middle of the table and takes a deep breath. I don't say a word because I need the truth. I need her to tell me everything.

She shifts in her chair before locking eyes with me and says, "Do you remember your grandfather, William?"