Chapter 54

"Well, well, if it isn't my little niece." Uncle John sing-songs his words, still walking toward us. His demeanor is way off—as if he's gained tons of confidence and a personality.

"Uncle John—what are you doing here?" I ask, genuinely confused.

He cocks his head and smiles sarcastically like I've just told him a dirty joke. "Why don't you ask your—" he stops and looks up at Dominic and I swear I see his face change. Like he's actually seeing him for the first time. "Friend." he finally gets out. But I can tell he's slightly intimidated.

"I don't understand." I admit, craning my neck to look up at Dominic. His eyes flash with a tinge of red directed straight at the big dude standing next to Uncle John.

"Stay away from her, Malum." Dominic bites out.

Holy shit, they know each other?

The vile in his voice sends a chill down my neck and if I didn't know him so well, I would already be running. Instead, I pull my body closer, wrapping both arms tightly around him.

"Ipsa morietur!" Malum growls in a deep, sadistic voice, spreading his arms as grotesque, thorn-like wings somehow burst through his flesh. A heavy, sickening smell of copper and sulfur pour down the back of what used to be his arms, sending instant nausea to my gut.

Dear

God...

Dominic shoves me behind him and shouts, "Esto ab ea!"

The rage in his voice instantly pierces my eardrums and my hands slam against my ears. The second I look up, I watch his black cloak transform into what looks like metal or maybe armor, I'm not sure—and then out of nowhere massive, beautiful black wings spread out from behind him. They're incredible, even breathtaking—and if I weren't so freaked out right now I'd try to reach out and touch them.

Dominic stands at least three feet above Malum, as they face one another, gearing up to fight when Uncle John suddenly runs toward me--like he was waiting for the chance. Before I can react, he grabs the collar of my sweater, yanking up as he begins dragging me down the hill. I watch Dominic whip his head in my direction but Malum bolts straight for him, forcing him to take his eyes off me and fight.

"Let go of me!" I scream, flailing my arms as I try reaching for a huge rock, embedded solidly in the ground to stop his momentum.

"Shut up! I should have killed you when I had the chance!" Uncle John shouts in a deep voice I barely recognize.

Managing to grasp the rock's edge, I'm able to maneuver my body around, pulling him down with my legs and he lands hard on his back. He may be bigger than me but he's not faster. I have a split second to take control when images of Papa, who taught me everything I know about getting out of impossible situations, flash in my head. "Stay in control and breathe, Kate..." the echo of his voice still loud and clear.

Without warning, Uncle John somehow gets to his feet and practically dives at me with a strange look of fury in his eyes; unlike I've ever seen. He misses when I quickly turn, gripping his arm and we instantly lock eyes. All I see are black—even the whites, but I shake it off, shoving my other hand around his shoulder, twisting with all I have. I hear a pop as he drops to his knees when suddenly I realize I have a straight shot for his crotch. Immediately, I draw back my right foot but stop when I hear a voice or maybe my name and I turn to look.

"Kate! No!" Aunt Kelly screams as she sprints toward us.

Before I know it, Uncle John jerks me up from behind, tightly wrapping his arm around my chest, as he pushes something sharp to my neck. 

"Stay back, Kelly--I swear I'll slit her throat if you take one more step."