Chapter 61

My eyes flash open and dart around the room at the sound of heavy footsteps, echoing just beyond the closed door. My mind is fuzzy from what feels like decades of sleep and I quickly rub my lids, but I know that walk, I'd know it anywhere. And as he approaches, I can already smell the earth on his warm, olive skin and the hint of metal from his cloak before he even walks through the door. His long, powerful stride suddenly stops and I notice the latch lifting up on the massive door as it creaks its way open.

Dominic eyes instantly lock with mine and I watch his lips curl into an almost seductive smile.

"Good morning, my love." he purrs, carrying a tray toward me as the aroma of bacon and eggs permeate the air. A split second later, my stomach practically stands at attention and I have to hold myself back from ravaging the tray like a wild animal. I've never been this hungry before.

Ever.

"We must discuss a few things." He says, sitting next to me as he places the tray over my lap. "But first, you should eat."

You don't have to ask me twice.

Forcing myself to only pick up one strip, it's like I've never had bacon before when it touches my lips. Well, not like this bacon. I'm not sure if it's because I'm beyond ravenous or if there's something about this place that makes the food somehow magical.

Dominic tilts his head as if reading my thoughts and says, "From now forward, your senses will be like nothing you have experienced before."

"It's amazing. Did you make this?" I say between bites.

"No." he answers, looking amused at my enthusiasm. "We have kitchen stewards who make all our meals.

"You mean like, cooks?"

"Yes." he answers as his lips part slightly, revealing perfectly straight, white teeth.

"So..." I pause, chewing the huge bite of eggs I just shoved in my mouth. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

Dominic looks away for a second and swallows, as if dreading what he's about to say. "Do you feel any differently?" he asks, holding something in his hands that I didn't see until now.

"I—I don't think so, why?"

He glances down briefly and then looks up at me as if he's choosing his words carefully. "While you were sleeping, your body...or I should say, your appearance changed slightly."

"What do you mean, changed?" I accentuate the last word.

"Do not be alarmed." he stops, taking my hand. "It is a natural progression for a Seraph to undergo physical adaptations." he says, gently pulling out a mirror as he holds it up to my face.

I feel my eyes go wide as I look at the reflection staring back isn't me. It's a completely enhanced me. Like I've gone through one of those really cool camera filters with added hair and makeup. My eyes are no longer the chocolate brown they once were. Now, they're what look like a cobalt blue, almost the color of Zack's, but much deeper. And my lashes are blacker and wispy as if they're false, but they're not. My chestnut, straight, hair is now slightly wavy with cinnamon tones that accentuate my highlighted, rosy cheekbones and crimson lips. I look completely different, even though you can still tell it's me—but one thing stands out more than anything else. I actually look older. It's as if I've aged five years.

"What—I mean, how did this happen?" I ask, still staring at my reflection.

"The longer you are in a Seraph's presence, the faster the transition happens—it was only a matter of time." Dominic says, still holding my hand as he pushes away the food tray and pulls me close. Ever so gently his lips touch mine and he whispers, "You are no longer, Kate Bassett. You are now officially our queen."