Chapter 93

"No!" Zack slams back at Aunt Kelly. "You can't be there...it's too risky."

"Wait a second...why?" she asks, her confused expression revealing her tempered frustration. "I'm not kidding Zack, I want the asshole to rot in hell!"

"You can't handle it, that's why!" Zack says, looking around the room as if suddenly realizing he's shouting. "We can't have you changing your mind, you're too close to him." he begins to pace, "You haven't see him the way we have and if Uncle John really is still possessed, the Demon will quickly pick up on your indecisiveness and your emotional weakness." he stops where he is and looks her dead on. "It's how it works with them, it's how they gain their power. And once he does, the Demon will play dirty and use everything he can to manipulate you," he pauses, glancing at Dominic and me, "and everyone else in the room.

"B—but," Aunt Kelly hesitates for a second, "I—I'm sure now." she gets out but it's clear even to me she's not as strong as she needs to be. At least when it comes to Uncle John. Hell, forty-eight hours ago she practically begged me to bring him back.

"He's right, Aunt Kelly." I whisper, watching her face fall the second she hears my words. "This is something I need to do," I walk closer and take her hand, "For me."

She instantly looks away and squints her lids like she's trying with everything she has to hold back her tears, "Then promise me something," she whispers, locking eyes with me, "Make sure that bastard suffers for what he did to you."

I give her a slight smile. The kind of understanding smile you give someone whose heart you know is breaking. And not for the man she was married to for fifteen years—it's breaking because of her love for me. "I'm pretty sure he already has." I whisper, still holding her hand.

Aunt Kelly squeezes my fingers before letting go and robotically takes a seat in front of the fireplace again. The dazed look on her face immediately telling me how defeated she must feel and I'm sad for her all over again.

"Then it's settled." Zack interrupts my thoughts like he's on a mission, "We'll interrogate the Dem—" he stops himself, "I mean, Uncle John and hopefully, get some answers once and for all." he says, rubbing the scruff along his jawline like he's already getting nervous.

Dominic has been silent this whole time so when I feel his hand slipping around my waist I'm instantly comforted by the warmth of his body so close to mine. "In the morning." he says in a low voice, looking directly at Zack, "The Queen needs to rest—we all do."