Thanks to his 'extended meeting' you had managed to miss your math class, which was a relief in itself. Dan was in that class and though you loved him, your heart wasn't feeling strong enough to deal with being given the cold shoulder from one of your best friends.

One more class until freedom... no that was a lie. You weren't going to be free after this; you were going to be beaten up then ignored by everyone you loved once you got home. What a great day.

Your last class went by smoothly enough, you only got one paper airplane telling you to kill yourself thrown at you today. People must finally be getting bored of you. 

The cold air felt soothing against your skin as you left the school. A weight seemed to be lifted from your shoulder as you took a deep breath in and out. Your sense of calm lasted less than a minute as one of the girls from earlier cleared her throat.

"Ah good, you came! What a loyal pet," She jeered.

You shook your head, trying to walk past, "I'm not in the mood for this right now."

"I'm sorry what? That's rude," The second girl chided, wagging her finger in your face, "You don't want us to tell Nox do you?"

"You think he'd let you beat me up?"

The first girl scoffed, "Do you actually think he loves you? You're just a toy for him to manipulate. He's  good lier and you're definitely not the first."

A shudder tickled your spine, "Whatever, he won't care if you do or don't. So I'm leaving."

Your jaw dropped as fire exploded across your cheek where the second girl had just slapped you, "No, you aren't."

You fell to the ground, gravel digging into your palms, and looked up at her. 

Rage filled her eyes for a moment before a fresh wave of fear fell over them, "A-Actually, you know what? Umm... I think- I think you can go. Yeah. Sorry about that, my hand just- uhh- slipped."

"Wait what are ta-?" Her friend scowled before she looked past you and let out a small whimper, "Yeah, yeah. She's right, we have to go."

The two of them scampered off as you struggled to comprehend your situation and hold in tears. Your eyes widened in surprise as your saviour stepped in front of you and silently offered you a hand. (A/N: Without looking everybody guess who it is, high fives for whoever get's it right)

Astonished, you took his hand and let him lift you to your feet, "Matt? What are you-?"

He quickly pulled you into his chest and wrapped his arms around you, "I'm so sorry Y/N, are you okay?"

You stiffened in his hold and he quickly let go, "Shit I-I didn't mean it like that. Sorry I-"

You gave him a confused look but said nothing to which he let out a long breath, "Okay look. Jack sent me to get you-"

"Wait you're talking to Jack? I thought everyone hated him."

Matt let out a soft smile and reached a hand hesitantly towards your shoulder before letting drop back to his side, "Honestly I kind of still do because of what he did to Mark but I can tell that it's killing him inside and that he is sorry. I don't forgive him, not yet at least. But I trust you and I know you trust him so that's why I'm willing to help him out."

You blinked your eyes quickly, "Wait Matt, I though I made it clear that-"

"Oh god no no no, that's not what I mean. Sorry, sorry, sorry," he waved his hands across his face as he blushed, "Look I won't deny my feelings for you but I understand that I'm not the one for you. Jack is. What we did in the park was wrong and I'm sorry for forcing you into that situation like that. What I'm trying to do here is purely platonic. I just want to be able to help you. Support you. I just want to be your friend."

A friend. A tear fell from your eyes. It felt like weeks since someone had wanted to even look you in the eyes let alone be your friend.

"Matt I-" Then something inside of you broke.

Tears began to stream down your face as you fell into a bewildered Matt's arms and clutched his sweater in your fist, "Thank you. Thank you Matt."

O-Of course, "He smiled and softly ran his hand down your hair, "That's what friends are for. Now let's get you home to Jack."

You had finally stopped crying by the time Matt had pulled into the driveway of your house, "I'll see you tomorrow okay? I'm here for you."

He gave you a gentle smile and a small wave as you stepped out of his car onto the driveway. Matt pulled away as you opened the door to a silent house.

"Jack?" You called out, kicking off your shoes.

You almost screamed as Jack barrelled out of your room and embraced you in a hug, "Hi love! I'm glad you're home. I missed you." He pressed a quick kiss to your lips before taking your hand in his, "I was thinking we could watch a movie together since the rest of the boys seem to be out tonight." You stood still as he tried to walk to the sofa, making him turn to face you, "What's wrong?"

You stared as a glimmer of terror flashed across his bright blue eyes. You could tell how hard he was trying to be happy. Taking a step towards him you pressed your lips against his. You felt him smile into the kiss and his arms snaked around your waist, pulling you flush against him. He was warm and welcoming and sent butterflies to your stomach every time he looked at you. His lips were like cotton candy, sweet and soft to the touch. If you did't need to breath you could have kissed him for hours.

"Nothing," You breathed, "Now let's go watch that movie."